Am I correct in detecting a *hint* of facetiousness in your reference to age
and income as more trustworthy?

I remember reading that asking what year a person was born is more likely to
yield an accurate answer than asking age - math aptitude really is  not what
it could (should) be, is it...

As to income, I would imagine that definitional issues have an impact (do
you mean BEA or Census income?)

As far as the general thread goes, I could see the case for lumping
perceptions and intentions into a similar ethereal realm where the cost of
taking a hard look at one's own perceptions and intentions is not worth the
value of giving better survey answers (even ignoring the strategic value of
lying to respondents in many cases).

Following along the line of the how would you rate ___ in the US today, what
about __ in your neighborhood - type questions and the finding that people
think their own neighborhood is better than the average (the lake woebegone
effect) - if nothing else it explains why they haven't moved...

Salutations,

Brian Moore