Good photographers keep their negatives because they predict that
satisfied customers are more likely to come back for reprints, while
unsatisfied customers would only throw away the negatives or not use
them anyway if they were able to buy them.  Less proficient
photographers sell their negatives because they don't expect to make any
money on reprinting mediocre pictures.  Selling the negatives helps make
up for the loss incurred when customers don't come back.

A photographer's willingness to sell the negatives or to provide bargain
reprints is a signal of the poor quality of the pictures he takes.
Similarly, a customer's desire to buy the negatives could be a signal to
photographers that the customer doesn't value the photos being taken
enough to pay a premium for reprints, and thus may be less likely to buy
lots of prints in the first place.  Another explantion could be that the
customer who wants to buy negatives is like the person who buys things
on layaway--he wants the good, but prefers for some reason to put a
little down now and pay the rest later.  So he pays for the sitting and
the negatives (lower profit items for the photographer), and takes the
negatives to the drug store next month to by prints.  The unwillingness
to sell negatives and the practice of charging high prices for reprints
could be a way for photographers to weed out the cheap-skates who might
otherwise eat into their profit margins by not buying many prints or not
returning for reprints.

Sadly, my own experience with my wedding photographer provides anecdotal
evidence for Mark Steckbeck's theory that photographers who sell their
negatives might do so to compensate for the inferior quality of their
photographs compared to photographers who won't sell their negatives.

Eric M. McDaniel
University of Tulsa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]