But how many restaurants have such long lines for a reservation? My hunch
is that most restaurants don't have any long lines, some have long
lines but you can easily get a reservation and there is a small fraction
like The French Laundry where you have to wait in line so you can wait
in line!

My hypothesis: Cheap eateries don't have lines, intermediate restaurants
use lines to speed up eating and the fancy places employ the
Becker/prestige mechanism.

Any industry insiders who can settle this one?

Fabio