My father, who allegedly holds some sort of psycology degree, claims that
many restaurants (likely retail chains and not ma and pa's) train their
servers to drop subtile hints to get people out the door.  Everything from
asking if "everything is OK" to stopping to refill drink or clearing plates.

Perhaps the reason larger prestige places have longer lines is because they
sell wine.  The markup on the entree is large because of the portion size
(probably).  But these restaurants must rake it in hand over fist selling
wine.  And while places like Pizzeria Unos give free refills on soda,
places like I Can't Afford To Eat Here always offer more, but are sure to
put it on the bill.

But then again, I'm just a customer.

Dan Lewis
<ad> www.whattheheck.com </ad>