> --- "Robert A. Book" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Isn't this what the GRE, MCAT, etc., are for?  Granted, they don't
> > apply to all post-graduate plans, but it's a start.

Fred Foldvary ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) responded:
> How many employers require applicants having a BA/BS to have taken the GRE
> etc. before they are considered for hiring?
> If few do, then it shows the degree and grades are still a sufficient
> criterion.

Good point.  I'm sure few if any do, which raises an perhaps even more
interesting question:

Most graduate schools are part of universities which also have
undergraduate programs, and most graduate schools require some
standardized tests.  Does that mean they put less confidence in the
degrees and grades they themselves give, than the employers do?

There are two caveats to taking that question the way I'd like to.
First, I suspect employers use personal interviews much more than
graduate schools do; perhaps interviews produce more, or more relevant
information than a standardized test.

Second, I wonder how the standardized testing "community" would react
to employers wanting to use existing tests for hiring purposes.
Surely there is nothing to stop job applicants from taking the GRE,
but I don't believe there is any existing mechanism for employers to
receive score reports directly from ETS.  (Schools seem to want scores
from ETS, not from the applicant, probably to prevent forgery.)  The
absense of such a mechanism may mean there is no demand for the
service from employers, or it could mean the suppliers refuse to
supply for some reason.

--Robert