OK Robin so you want to say that consumer wants not truth or relevance but
signals about smartness.  Then our profession is doing a decent job, but the
opportunity cost of this is huge. Economics is a particularly relevant
discipline for public policy and social understanding.  I believe there our
truths in the economic world that are particularly costly not to recognize.

Can you make an argument that the unintended consequence of this smartness
signalling actually is closer approximations to the truth?  If so, then I
think you would have a neat argument.

BTW, in the economy we can discuss efficiency (technical) because somehow
the underlying realities of tastes, technology and resource endowment are
reflected in the induced variables of prices and profit/loss.  If there was
no connection between these, then in what sense would we be able to talk
about allocational efficiency?

Similarly, in academics if we don't have an underlying reality of "truth"
and the scientific community somehow following the induced variables of
prestige, position, power that gets at closer approximations of the
underlying "reality" then in what sense is the academic market efficiently
organized?

Pete

Peter J. Boettke, Deputy Director
James M. Buchanan Center for Political Economy
Department of Economics, MSN 3G4
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030
PHONE: 703-993-1149