> I agree that academia wastes vast resources relative to the goal of
seeking
> truth, but I disagree that this implies a market failure, mainly because I
> don't think the ultimate customers fundamentally want truth.  In fact, I
> think customers in part want faddism and cults of personality.

Posner, I think, pointed out that there are species of fish that lay
thousands of eggs merely to produce one or two offspring that make it to
adulthood.  Even if we grant that the great bulk of academic publishing is
useless dreck, it does not follow that it is wasteful.  It may well be that
the same net output may be producible with lots of low quality or with a
little high quality.  How readily high and low quality can be substituted
for one another depends on the product.

I offer an example from the only industry I know anything about.  Grain is
usually shipped on large ships, and is dumped into the holds through large
chutes.  A non-trivial amount is lost in the process, because it isn't worth
the cost to save it all (although there have been improvements over the
years reducing the loss).  The loss is compounded as the grain is
transferred, between ships and terminals, and between trains and terminals,
many times.  A very good way to eliminate the waste is to package the grain
into containers and seal them for the duration of the trip.  Very little
grain is shipped that way (usually expensive seeds), because the lost grain
is usually less valuable than the cost of containerizing.

Milgrom and Roberts' text mentions the same problem in car production,
comparing Toyota and GM.  They note that back in the fifties when Toyota was
small, inventories were expensive for it relative to the cost of inventories
for GM, because GM was so much larger and therefore bore proportionally
smaller inventory costs (by the law of large numbers).  Hence the use of
just-in-time production.  Just-in-time requires tight quality controls,
because defective parts are a problem if your inputs arrive just as you are
using them.  If you maintain large parts inventories, you replace defective
parts out of inventory.  For GM, lower average quality of purchased
inventory could produce the same average quality of used inventory, so long
as GM bore inventory costs.  Toyota's higher inventory costs made that an
unprofitable production decision.

So, I think the question of whether the production of dreck (or
alternatively clever theorizing of no use to anyone) is wasteful requires
that we have some idea of how best to produce good research.  Clearly, there
are journals that exist solely as outlets for economists at little teaching
colleges to get in the one or two papers they need for tenure, for no
obvious reason.  Beyond that, though, it is not at all obvious to me how you
get "The Problem of Social Cost" or "The Fable of the Bees" while avoiding
uninteresting or pointless work.

Bill Sjostrom

+++++++++++++
William Sjostrom