----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Foldvary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 03 August 2002 14:27 PM
Subject: Re: efficient markets ...

> > As a mathematician, I think the whole notion of efficient markets is
very
> > non-transparent, bordering on meaningless or do I mean contextless?
> > The first question that would need to be answered to prove me wrong is
> > explain what time-span (transactional or relationship) governs your
model.
> > You cannot have both, because they ultimately spin all the results of
> > economic modelling very differently
> > chris macrae
>
> A purely efficient market would always be efficient, therefore for all
time
> intervals.  I don't understand the meaning of "You cannot have both".

I would like to suggest to you that there are 2 poles of corporate
performance which are often opposite:
-a company's last 90 day's performance as a transaction-taker
-a company's performance as a sustainable system for relationship-making

Let's assume we have honest bean counting for the last 90 days. It is still
the case that as people in business units squeeze what they can get out of
transactional performance (they may over-sell what after-service can
deliver; they may cut training; they may...) the more they put the health of
relationship system -and all the human energies that implies - at risk. I
would suggest to you that whilst you have monopoly auditing of transactioned
numbers (even assuming these have been counted properly) almost all
information on the relationship strength of the system isnt getting
transparent attention (or if it is getting any its only from by insiders).
Whilst this fundamental contextual bias in "what corporate performance is
defined to be" rules, the chances of markets being efficient dwindles
absolutely below zero.

chris macrae [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.valuetrue.com Transparency Community