In a message dated 8/9/02 1:37:25 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< While it might be true that urban dwellers don't support direct farm
subsidies to the same extent as rural dwellers (though my bet is that
the support is still large) what they do support is food stamps which
are another form of agricultural support - the quid pro quo between ag.
subsidies and food stamps was always recognized in the political sphere.

Alex Tabarrok

Traditionally the small and indirect impact of food stamps on ag commondity
prices has been utterly swamped by the large and direct impact of commondity
price supports.  I grew increasingly disillusioned with politics during my
years in Iowa and for the last few stopped following what happened with
commondity price supports; I know that under the Contract With America
Congress passed a multi-year phaseout of the price-support program that would
have had them all phased out by now (it didn't apply to the separate programs
for tobacco, and the indirect federally-enforced milk and fruit cartels).
Even if the ag price supports have been fully phased out, the food stamp
program still has almost no impact on retail food prices, much less ag
commodities, and of course urbanites don't think of food stamps as ag
subsidies.

What makes you suspect there's strong urban support for ag subidies (and
would that include tobacco price supports and the government-enforced fruit
and milk cartel arrangements)?  I see little evidence for such support in the
voting patterns of the reprentatives in Congress.

David Levenstam