--- fabio guillermo rojas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"4. Cognitive limitations: I'm no expert, but my hunch
is that many people are only willing to get worked up
over a small # of issues - taxes, abortion,
immigration, defense... and the dedicated might add
their favorites like gun control or affirmative
action. Therefore, it's no risk to screw the voter on
an issue as long as you don't do it on certain big
issues. Therefore it's easy to get a list of dozens of
issues and find a descrepancy - what's so puzzling
about that?"

You mean litmus-test issues that people value above
all else?  Abortion is a good example.  There seems to
be alot of people who will choose to not vote for a
candidate because of her stance on abortion,
regardless of her stance on all other issues.  So
litmus-test issues could throw off the MVT because
that issue decides who one will vote for before any
other issue will be considered.

I think this criticism fails because the winning
candidate would be the candidate who chooses the
median vector.  That is, she chooses the median for
the biggest litmus test issue, then the second
biggest, and on down the line.

Of course my criticism of your criticism would fail
for issues that are under the radar of most people.
At which point I would just be wasting bandwidth.

But I do have a naive question:  Is there a median
voter for each issue, so that if there n issues, there
can be up to n median voters?  Or, is there only one
median voter who satisfies the vector median as I
described above?  Can such a person be proven to
exist, sort of like a voter version of the Ham
Sandwich Theorem?

Humbly yours,
jsh

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.