Howdy,

It seems like I've seen advertisements for insurance
companies who'll offer quotes from their competitors,
even if their competitor's quotes are cheaper.  I can
think of two reasons why a firm would do this.  First
would be the warm-fuzzy model, where the company is
banking on goodwill resulting from helping the
consumer shop around.  They can't be all bad if they
help me out rather than just make a buck.

The second would be the better-actuary model, where
the firm is betting that its actuaries (& their
models) are better than the competitors', so the firm
believes that the competitors are actually making bad
bets and will ultimately go out of business or adjust
so that their prices go up.

Do these sound reasonable, or do you think there is a
better reason.  If so, what?

Curiously yours,
jsh

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.