John Hull wrote:
>"They could spend the same effort they spent training
>for the race and running it doing their usual kind of
>job...."
>
>They could sell Amway or Mary Kay for seven hours a
>week, but then they'd give up that good healthy
>exercise.  If they're going to exercise anyway, then
>running isn't much sacrifice, as I suggested.

If exercise isn't much of a sacrifice, then someone's
willingness to do it isn't much of a signal of their
commitment to a charity, which was the proposed
explanation that I was responding to in the above.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323