Obviously the supply side of the academic labor market values this and is willing to
forgo some money compensation to get it. Evidently the cost of producing this amenity
for academic employers is generally less than the value to the employees so there are
very few schools that don't promise tenure. You might ask why people value tenure so
much or why it is cheap for schools to provide it, but again I don't think that is too
surprising. Academics value their freedom and tenure guarantees a reasonable minimum
income if you decide to think unconventional thoughts for a while or pursue a high
risk long term project. On the other hand, academic employers still have a fair amount
of power over their employees short of firing them. Three percent inflation a year for
a decade takes a nasty gouge out of ones real earnings, and of course tenure doesn't
protect you if you seriously misbehave.
- - Bill Dickens

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 797-6113
FAX:     (202) 797-6181
E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AOL IM: wtdickens

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/18/02 01:13AM >>>

Seriously, why does tenure exist at all? I know the motivations
for tenure, but why isn't it competed away somehow? I would like
to know what economic process ensures its continued existence.

Fabio