>(2) I am beginning to doubt that "worker managed firm"
>describes the university. I'm not faculty (yet!) but from what
>I understand, the university administration has great
>power in the university. If they want, administrators can change
>standards for tenure and cut budgets and they control the
>physical plant, and other stuff. The "worker managed lable"
>applies just to the department. There is no reason the administration
>has to allow tenure to exist.
>
>Fabio

My point was not that we had tenure because the department was a
worker managed firm and the workers wanted tenure. My conjecture was
that we had tenure because tenure is at least sometimes efficient in
a worker managed firm. If so, the university administrators might
support tenure because they want the professors to spend more time on
teaching and research and less on departmental politics.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law