Dear Armschairs,

emission trading literature attribute grandfathering often the risk
strategic behavior of firms to prevent newcomer. They pile up permits to
inflate price of permits and in doing so, they save their market position.
It seems me odd. First, if a lot of firms sell on the permit market price
corresponds to marginal costs of avoidance. Every firm bears this cost,
thats the intention of the instrument. If one firm controlls a wide share of
the market, then we have another problem. To rise the price of permits the
firm has to pile up a lot of permits and face opportunity costs. Its
opportunity cost are bigger than newcommers cost, because of firms big
market share. If the price of permits increase other firms sell permits end
drive the price down again. Thats why the firm has to pile up more and more
permits to keep a high price. They lose more than newcommers. What do you
think about my interpretation of this problem?

Steffen