--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"As Steven Landsburg has pointed out, why is it that
everyone feels entitled to speak about economic
matters when they are not economists?  No one asks non
doctors to get up and speak about medical issues....."

What about "alternative" medicine?  When I was doing
traffic, every Tom, Dick, & Harry to come in the door
seemed to earnestly believe that driving a car was
sufficient qualification for deciding speed limits &
stop sign patterns.  I imagine every profession can
legitimately offer up the same complaint, although
that doesn't make it any less frusterating.

(One of the engineers I worked for frequently
complained about every layperson thinking she was an
expert, yet he also frequently offered up his
expertise on things he knew nothing about, like
psychology & finance.  He never got the irony.)