Gil-
Your point is well taken.  I recently read a fine
quote from Noam Chomsky about how mathematicians
listen to him and consider his arguments, whereas
political experts on the Middle East attack his lack
of credentials.  I suppose I should have noted that
those self-proclaimed traffic experts didn't have a
clue, and through their efforts they made the streets
of the city where I worked both more clogged and more
dangerous (especially for children).  I would guess
that at least 90% of the amateur traffic analysis in
the city was dead wrong.  Indeed, one way to get a
citizen to quit complaining about the speeding on his
street is to loan him a radar gun and let him find out
for himself that a stationary observer is a
notoriously bad judge of automobile speed.  Since
alternative medicine doesn't have double-blind
research backing it up, my opinion of it tends to be
similarly dismal.  And so on.

That's not to say that self-educated or insightful
amateurs cannot be informed and informative.  I'd say
the contrary is true; they can be very informed.
However, Feinman's admonition for viewers of his
lectures "The Character of Physical Law" not to send
in letters suggesting methods of solving the puzzles
of modern physics makes me wonder about the ratio of
the "good" amateurs to the "bad" amateurs.  For
traffic in northern Michigan, I'd say the ratio is
roughly 1:9.

Best wishes,
jsh