I sent this message once before, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. I apologize if you receive duplicates

I've run into a real life economic puzzle and I would like to get your ideas about it. I'm looking into giving my friend a gift subscription for some internet service, $20 for 30 days. I give my credit card to the web site, and my friend receives an email saying "go to our web site and enter this code to receive your subscription." This service also offers a free 10 day trial subscription to new customers which my friend would qualify for. Here's the trick, the web site forbids combining offers. If I give the gift subscription, my friend cannot also get his 10 free days. So what would be best for my friend would be for me just to hand him a $20 bill, and for him to sign up as a new member and get the 10 free days in addition to the 30 he gets with my $20. However, giving cash in our society is gauche. I would suffer embarasment if I did this. I suspect the web site is intentionally trying to use my embarassment as leverage against me. Here's a cost/benefit matrix:

The web site allows | The web site forbids
combining offers | combining offers