On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 03:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 1/17/03 1:15:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

--- Bob Steinke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
However, giving cash in our society is gauche.
It is in dominant WASP culture, but not in some subcultures. My parents, for
instance, give me cash each year, and this year my brother chose cash too.
The cash is particularly nice since as a poor grad student living in a very
expensive area (and too abrasive to have roommates other than a cat) I can
really use the cash over some tie or something.

DBL
You are not really giving cash, but you want the benefits of giving cash,
so create a fancy home-made gift certificate good for reimbursement for the
internet service, with a brief explanation of why this is a greater
benefit.
The certificate avoids the outre' cash, and when your friend hands you the
certificate, at that moment it is a redemption and not a cash gift, as the
gift was previously made by the certificate. It is not really cash,
because you personalize it in the form of a certificate.

Fred Foldvary

Yes, not everyone has a problem giving cash. My real question is why does this web site force me to go behind their back? Why don't they just let me give a gift subscription and if my friend is a new customer give the ten free days too? Certainly they must realize how easy it is for me to go behind their back and still give my friend 40 days of service for $20. What is motivating their policy and is it producing net positive or negative utility in our society?