--- john hull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  In most localities is seems that real
> estate markets are pretty heterogeneous in terms of
> both land characteristics and extant buildings,

Actually, the land is quite homogenous.  Your neighbor's land is not much
different from your's, unless one of you lives in a corner lot.

> the markets might often be pretty thin,
> especially outside of urban areas.

In cities, they seem to be thick enough, as I see listings of many
properties sold every week.

> real estate markets aren't competitive, in the
> economic sense of the word?

In the sense of rivalry, there is plenty of competition in cities.
Maybe not in some rural areas.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]