In a message dated 1/25/03 9:20:45 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  Federal, state and local land regulations often discourage
>> the conversion of currently-farmed land for other purposes, like
>indstrial or high-density residential use.  The number of people engaged
>in
>full-time farming has continued to decline, and virtually nobody not
>already
>> engaged in farming or from a farming family enters farming.  There's
>thus
>little additional demand for farming land,<
>
>But don't the billions of dollars of farm subsidies benefit some farmers,
>making their land more valuable?
>When farmers are grandfathered into price supports, does this run with
>the
>land or with the farmer?
>
>Fred Foldvary

It was my understanding that grain price supports were to be phased out by
last year or the year before.  Since I stopped following such matters for the
most part around 2000, I'm not sure whether Congress allowed the phase out to
complete.  I do recall both Tom Harkin (Democratic US Senator from Iowa) and
Jim Nussle (Republican US Represenative from the next district over in Iowa)
rushing to Newt Gingrich a few years back to try to stave off the full phase
out, but as I recall they did not succeed.  I'm not familiar with any
"grandfathering" to avoid the phase out; the subsidies before the phase out
went with the crop, not the farmer or the land (although the PIK program paid
the farmer not to plant a crop, and I think there the benefits probably went
with the land).  If the phase out does have some grandfather clause to
prevent or slow the phase out, I suppose it might have gonen with either the
land or the farmer.  I seem to recall that the ag subsidies had a per person
limit and that farmers often evaded the limits by putting parcels of land in
the name of wives, daughters, sons, cousins, in-laws, outlaws, etc.

I'm sure that if the subsidies go with a parcel of land that they tend to
raise the value of the land, but maybe only if someone actually grows the
crop on the land.

DBL