On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, William Dickens wrote:

> don't fit easily into Kuhn's categories.  We're in the same situation
> as meteorology (only worse because our subjects have minds of their
> own). We know that weather systems are chaotic and therefore
> unpredictable beyond very limited time frames. Same for economics.

I'm actually not a Kuhnian on these issues, but I am trying to see how far
Kuhn's theory goes in accurately describing economic research. Is it
really true that there aren't reigning paradigms in meteorology? I should
note that experimental econ seems to be developing in a very Kuhnian
fashion.

> the hallmark of modern physics. Sure there are physical problems where
> chaos and complexity cause the same sorts of problems that economists
> have dealing with the economy, but they aren't at the core of the
> discipline the way they are in economics. Thus I think that a lot of

Some core parts of physics deal with complexity -  how about statistical
mechanics? Is there a macro counterpart to statistical mechanics?

> Finally, You and Alex both seem to want to classify the state of
> modern macro as normal science. Personally, I think that the
> differences between the different approaches within macro are much
> more profound than either of you apparently do. Although everybody

Is the difference between monetarists and post-Keynesians smaller than
between post-Keynseians and Austrians? Austrians don't even accept
equilibira theory as a starting point of economic analysis.

Fabio