In a message dated 2/5/03 12:01:23 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>Indeed, the main finding from the surveys is not the brandishment result
>>but the fact that guns are used defensively several million times a year
>>(according to Kleck's survey and several others.)
>
>Which is highly suspect. It is computed by projecting the fraction of people
>in a relatively small sample who say they used firearms defensively to
>the whole population. Anyone who has ever worked with survey data knows
>that error rates of a couple of percent (at least) on all sorts of questions
>are common. Both coding errors and reporting errors substantially increase
>(in percentage terms) the fraction of respondents giving positive responses
>to questions with very low fractions of positive responses. Think also
>about how people treat surveys (for example the number of people who say
>they have been abducted by aliens).  I would bet any money that the true
>fraction of people who use firearms in self-defense (brandishment or ot
herwise)
>is a whole heck of a lot lower (an order of m

While she was Attorney General, Janet Reno commissioned a study to try to
prove that private firearms ownership does not deter crime.  The commission
concluded nonetheless that Americans use firearms .5 to 1.5 million times a
year to deter crimes.  Given the obvious bias of the study, this conclusion
makes the Lott/Kleck numbers quite credible.

DBL