On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:24:50 -0500, "William Dickens"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I would bet any money that the true fraction of people who
> use firearms in self-defense (brandishment or otherwise) is a whole heck
> of a lot lower (an order of magnitude or more) than what is suggested by
> Kleck's survey. - - Bill Dickens

Bill,

I would take that bet, and not based on a survey, but simply anecdotal
evidence from the 6 people I personally know and can think of who have
(brandished or otherwise) used a gun in either self defense or protection
of personal property.  These are people in three areas of the country;
south Florida, Atlanta area and east Tennessee.  Two of them discharged
their weapons.  One of them (in south Florida) actually caught thieves in
his boat in his back yard and held them at bay until the police came.
One, in Tennessee, was a single mom living in a rural setting, who heard
someone breaking into her car.  She stepped out on the porch and fired
her (deceased husbands) shotgun over the head of the criminal and scared
him away.  Funny thing about her is she was a liberal gun control
advocate.  When her husband died, she never imagined using his shotgun in
such a fashion.

Who knows the impact on crime of simply having an NRA sticker on the
front window of a home, or a sign that says, "This home protected by
Smith and Wesson."  No way to know (even with a survey) the number of
times owning or giving the perception of owning a fire arm has provided
disincentive to a would be criminal.

Fred Childress
Economist
Bureau of Labor Statistics