Hi Sabrina.

Tricky question.

Do you have biological replicates of some samples and technical
replicates of others?  Or, just technical replicates of everything?

I suspect it would be difficult to justify adding a bunch of extra
(adhoc) steps into the FIRMA pipeline.  I don't have a full
understanding of your experiment, but what about just dealing with it
when you operate on the FIRMA scores?  When you say "average on plm",
I assume this means an average of the chip effects for those two
samples?  You could fit a PLM that estimates a single chip effect for
those two samples and use that for calculating FIRMA scores.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark

On 20/01/2009, at 9:09 AM, sabrina wrote:

> Hi, all:
> I am working on Affy Mouse Exon Array . Because of the experiment
> design and quality of the hybridization, we have two arrays hybridized
> from one mouse (same biological sample). I assume that I should treat
> these two arrays as tehcnical duplicates. If that is the case, I could
> do background correction, normalization and summary separately for
> these two arrays,(RMA, and  ExonRmaPlm), then before I use FIRMA to
> get firma scores, can I just do average on plm of these two arrays?
> But then what do I feed in FIRMAModel? ( The default one is just plm
> results  directly from ExonRmaPlm) .Or any suggestions about how to
> deal with this situation? My goal is to find novel splicing events,
> but right now I am just using core annotation to try it out. Thanks!
>
> Sabrina

Mark Robinson
Epigenetics Laboratory, Garvan
Bioinformatics Division, WEHI