Hi Xinjun.

Comments below.

On 28/04/2009, at 12:25 PM, Xinjun Zhang wrote:

> Hi Mark:
>
> Thanks very much for your clarification! Now I have approached to
> limma analysis of FIRMA score to get differentially spliced genes
> ( and also splicing pattern of each ). But I still have some
> difficulty to understand the code ( in red ) below in Limma analysis:
>
>         #fs is the 'standard' FirmaSet-object
>         fsDF <- extractDataFrame(fs, addNames=TRUE)
>         fsDF[,-c(1:5)] <- log2(fsDF[,-c(1:5)])    # I know why log2
> is here but confused by fsDF[,c(1:5)] .... what does this expression
> mean?

Note that it is -c(1:5), meaning operate on (here, take logs) all of
the columns except 1:5 ... that is, because extractDataFrame gives
some extra columns at the beginning that are NOT data, we only want to
log that columns that have actual data.

>         design <- cbind(Grp1=1,Grp2=c(rep(0,n_1),rep(1,n_2)))
>         fit<-lmFit(fsDF[,-c(1:5)],design)
>         fit<-eBayes(fit)
>         fit$genes<-fsDF[,1] # Can I also get seperate splicing
> patterns for the  two differentially spliced genes from two group
> (control and treatment )?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  The probesets where the "Grp2"
coefficient is significantly different from 0 may highlight
differentially spliced exons.  Does that help?

Mark