From: aroma-affymetrix@googlegroups.com
[mailto:aroma-affymet...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Henrik Bengtsson
Sent: 23 November 2010 21:53
To: aroma-affymetrix
Subject: Re: [aroma.affymetrix] libgsl-0.dll missing error

Hi.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Yan Jiao <y.j...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> Sorry, the error is after
> cbs <- CbsModel(ds);
> ce <- ChromosomeExplorer(cbs);
> process(ce, verbose=TRUE);

Ok, now the error message makes a bit more sense (it was my suspicion
but I didn't want make guesses).

> Generating ChromosomeExplorer report...
> <simpleError in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...): unable
> to load shared library
> 'C:/Users/rmhkyji/R/win64-library/2.11/GLAD/libs/x64/GLAD.dll':
>  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>
> And there  is a pop out window saying: The program can't start because
> libgsl-0.dll I smissing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program
> to fix this program.

I can reproduce this on 64-bit Windows 7 - you get the same error if
you try library("GLAD").  It is because we utilize part of the GLAD
package, if and only if it is *installed*, and otherwise we turn to
backup solutions.  What happens here is that *GLAD is installed but
doesn't load*, which causes the error so that backup solutions doesn't
kick in.   In the next release I'll try to make sure the backup
solutions will also work when there is an error load GLAD.  In
meanwhile, you can do this:

WORKAROUND:

1. Uninstall the GLAD package (it doesn't work anyway):

> remove.packages("GLAD")
Removing package(s) from 'C:\Users\hb\R\win-library\2.12'
(as 'lib' is unspecified)

> library("GLAD")
Error in library("GLAD") : there is no package called 'GLAD'

That should do it.  Let me know if it works for you.

TECHNICAL DETAILS: It happens because the GNU Scientific Library (GSL)
is not installed on the system (hence the 'gsl' part of
'libgsl-0.dll'). There is a hard-to-find note that you need GSL in
order to use the GLAD package, cf.
http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/GLAD.html.  There
exist 32-bit binaries of GSL at
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsl.htm.  Unfortunately, it
does not work for the 64-bit version of R on Windows 64-bit.  It works
if you do tricks an run the 32-bit version of R, but that is a rather
inconvenient workaround.

/Henrik