Whether a song can be put in another film is dependent on much more
than just the "period" element. Inparticular storyline, and the
director. every director is unique in his story telling style and even
songs from that era just wouldnt fit in.

The second factor is the audience. During the Mughal-e-Azam time the
audience composition was entirely different. Rising/lagaan brought out
the priod element that appeals us, rather than the demographic of 20
or so yrs ago. And even Mughal-e-Azam had traits of the time it was
composed in..

Of course, I can't prove any of this without a tape.

I havent seen most of the movies you mention.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, V S Rawat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/22/05 12:28 PM India Time, _Vinayakam Murugan_ wrote:
>
> >     For anybody willing to understand what period films are
> >     about should listen to compositions of Naushad
> >     (Mughal-e-Azam) and Khayyam (umrao jaan) etc in which they
> >     created the sounds of the era in film that film were based.
> >

> > I repeat, Mughal-e-Azam songs would not have been out of place in
any of
> > the 1960's movies.
>
> In absense of any hard data about "period" elements put in
> Mughal-e-azam songs, let me test your hypothesis that those
> songs can be put in any film.
>
> Mughal-e-azam was a 1960 film.
>
> some other films of that decade are (set in then current time)
>
> Dil Apnaa Aur Preet Paraai/ 1960
> Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai/ 1960
> Parakh/ 1960
>
> Bhabhi Ki Chudiyan/ 1961
> Gunga Jumna/ 1961
> Hum Dono/ 1961
> Junglee/ 1961
> Sasural/ 1961
> Shama/ 1961
>
> Aarti/ 1962
> Anpadh/ 1962
> Asli Naqli/ 1962
> Bees Saal Baad/ 1962
> Ek Musafir Ek Hasina/ 1962
>
> to name a few. I have selected some popular names which
> people might recall.
>
> Do you feel that if you find
>
> a "pyaar kiyaa to Daranaa kyaa" or
> a "ai mohabbat zindaabaad" or
> a "ye dil kii lagii kam kyaa hogii" or
> a "terii mahafil me.n qismat aazamaa ke"
>
> in the album of, say, Bees Saal Baad, among the songs
>
> - kahii.n diip jale kahii.n dil
> - beqaraar kar ke hame.n yuu.n na jaaiye
> - zaraa nazaro.n se kah do jii
> - sapne suhane ladakpan ke
>
> you would feel it ok without sensing any time warp?
>
> -------
>
> On the other hand,
>
> - Kisna's "hum hai.n is pal yahaa.N" could have been used in
> lakeer instead of "paigaam laayaa saawan" , and vice versa.
>
> - Taal's "kahii.n aag lage" could have been used in mangal
> pandey instead of "rasiya", and vice versa.
>
> - pukar's "qismat se tum hamako mile ho" could have been
> used in Lagaan instead of "o rii chhorii", and vice versa.
>
> And no one would have felt any difference. that's what I am
> saying that people not feeling the difference is what is
> causing ARR's songs not getting the weightage that music of
> a period film gets.
>
> ----------
> On the similar note, there had been enough mention in this
> group itself that ARR had re-used such and such loop and
> whatever in such and such song of Mangal pandey. That itself
> tells that ARR feels he can use component of a 1999 based
> film in a 1857 based film.
>
> That is why I am objecting to.
>
> > I have grown up with this song. What is different in this from the
other
> > songs in that era, tell me?
> > If you compare it with ARR's todays music, you will see the
> [...]

This August, Discover the Birth of Your Independence
and The Magic of A.R.Rahman's Music in
Mangal Pandey - The Rising
http://www.risingthefilm.com
http://www.mangalpandeythefilm.com
Music released: Jul 14, 2005 Movie releases: Aug 12, 2005

Only at arrahmanfans - The definitive A.R.Rahman e-community.