Hi Fan,

I am happy that more fans from other linguistic background across India
wanting to listen ARR's Tamil composition. Though there are more gems in
Tamil than in Hindi, some of ARR's compositions in Tamil can be very much
enjoyed only when people listening to it know the background of the film,
the theme, the situation and all.

I have seen many here say that Iruvar is probably ARR's best ever and what
not. True...but Non Tamil fans especially those NI fans and
Pakistani/Bangladeshi/ Sinhalese will be able to not only enjoy but also get
astonished by ARR's brilliance only if they know about the real story behind
Iruval and its inspirational incidence.

Iruvar is a film based on the two political rivals of Tamil Nadu starting
from their association in early 1930's..So when we listen to songs in Iruvar
we need to keep in mind about what sort a person is these protagonist are.
The one enacted by Mohanlal is the character of MGR who was the first super
star of Tamil and still the undisputed God of millions of his Fans..He is no
more though..He was a chief minister of TN for about 9 years..So the songs
composed by ARR on MohanLal (the actor who acted as MGR) has many flavors of
the MGR songs which people could identify with..But Brilliance of ARR would
only give original tunes and even though the tunes were MGR like none was a
even 5% copied one. That is why many here could say that Iruvar is ARR's
best. Also the film spans some 4 decades and even talks about Jayalalitha
and her influence on MGR (Ashwarya plays that part...Hello Mr,.
Ethirlatchi)..so each song will convey to you the ambience of the film..the
period setting..etc..

Narumugai ye....1940..when Songs were purely carnatic based with King Queeen
stories..
Venni la...vennila...1950..when the influence of Jazz and Hindi music was
quite prevalent..
Also Pookkodiyin Punnagai...Late 50s when Lite music was slowly becoming
popular with MS. Viswanathan Music (one of the greatest MDs of Tamil) and P
Suseela's voice (Incidently the female voice in that song was that of a
relative of P Suseela...the song was exactly like the one this great singer
would have sung..ARR's touch..brilliance)..
Then Aayirathil Naan oruvan..1960's when MGR was getting the Super Star
Status...generally 10s of MGR songs of this period would be only of this
type...

Then early late 60 and early 70s...infuence of Rock, Jazz type..disco
music..in Hello Mr. Ethirlatchi...The period when Jayalaltha Made a debut
and influenced MGR in his personal and as well as political life...

In all the composition ARR left his mark...even though all the songs had the
stamp pf the period..the ambience...it also had ARR in it.the sound the
unique..signature..it sounded classic as well as modern..

That is Iruvar from Mani - ARR combo...

Well if we know these background about the film and much more inside story
and political rhetoric....we can only get astonished by ARR's genius again
and again...

Just my two cents

Regards,
Karthik