I don't think PFMB is completely hip-hop. However, even if you take the
section of the song that is rapped, it is not the social stigma associated
with rap that we need to look at, but the message. I mean, I agree with you
that a message like this conveyed through purely a rap medium (which is not
the case here), may have lost the majority of its intended audience even if
the message was good, but ironically, rap as a medium of art originated out
of the need to express a sense of helplessness and frustration of poverty,
and the situation of World Poverty is just the same problem with greater
magnitude and therefore not too far from the origins of rap. So, in that
sense I don't think ARR erred in his judgement in using rap.

Then, I think the fact that the intended audience that he is trying to
influence, which would be the younger generation who will be leaders of the
future world, are currently listening to hip-hop as the main source of
popular art, would have been a key factor as well. Now I do not advocate the
messages with which hip-hop music has become synonymous these days, but I do
understand, that more than what the lyrics and the message of this hip-hop
songs communicate, it is the rythm of hip-hop songs that infect and draw
people to it. So, we should not dismiss a medium of art, just because it is
associated with thugs and rowdy men who have little civility, because those
are not attributes of the form itself, but its content. If an artist can use
a form's ability to infect people to pass on a good message, then more
strength to that artist for leading the way for others to follow. I still
think of No Problem from Love Birds (1996) as a prime example of how rap and
reggae was used to empower an audience. That's a great message right there.

Another Day in Paradise is truly an al time great song with great feeling in
the league of We Are the World and Heal the World, but that was created with
an 80s feeling, but since this is the 00s, I think ARR is just following the
trends just like PC did in 1989. I have great respect for Rano's taste and
thoughts. Just wanted to share my view.

Regards,
Dasun