Interesting that someone brought this up. I too felt VY was straining
a tad too much at the highest notes. Perhaps that's why he wasn't used
in the full version of the song? Personally, I feel Vijay's voice
lacks lustre and gravitas. It's too light and tentative. This is not
to compare with his father's voice of course, but even against his
contemporaries he comes up short. Naresh/Karthik would indeed have
made a better choice. Vijay is actually a strange choice as he's never
been used before by Rahman. I think he wanted to use Yesudas, but as
the latter is wont to do in recent times, he pushes for his son
whenever possible, so maybe that's why VY landed up with the song.
Just mere speculation of course.

I actually liked Udit's rendition, pronunciation notwithstanding. As
always, full-bodied, powerful and always, always with that indelible
smile on his face :) But the real hero(ine) of the song is of course
Chinmayi - man she just leaves you awestruck with each new song!