For quite long time I had been trying to understand the meaning of
these four songs. At last, with the help of my friends Ruchika and
Amarjeet, I have tried to understand as well as translate them.
Ruchika actually narrated each and every Punjabi words to me and all
I had to do was construct an english sentence. So big thanks to her.
Here are the translations.

---------------

Ni Mei Samajh gayee
Film:Taal

Sajnave sohniyave Ranjhnave
sohniyave mahiyave
Mahiyave sohniyave ranjhnave

All the words Sajna, sohniya, mahiya refers to beloved. `ve' at the
end means calling him. Sajnave= o beloved.
Ranjhna refers to Ranjha of Heer-Ranjha tale.

Ni main samajh gayi ni main samajh gayi
I realized (at last)
Is dardi ramajh main samajh gayi
The reason behind this pain

Ni main samajh gayi ni main samajh gayi
Is dardi ramajh main samajh gayi

Na samjhi thi to ulajh gayi
(if) u hadn't understood, you'd have been caught in trouble
Ab uljhan teri sulajh gayi
Now your trouble is solved

Ni tu samajh gayi
You realized it(at last)

Is galdi ramajh main samajh gaya
The reason behind this matter

Na samajh mujhe batlaye na ye kuchh bhi mujhe samjhaye na
No rationality tell me or lets me understand

Rang itna chada ke tapak gaya honthon se aankh mein teir gaya
The colour (of love) whelmed (me) so much that dripped from (my)
lips and swam to the eyes.

Banke phir vo ghanghor ghata zulfon mein vo phir ulajh gaya
Then it turned into heavy cloud and stuck into hair locks

Ainu pyaar da chaska ay saain te ishq hi aidi riyasat hain
Who is tranced in love, oh God, (his/her) beloved is him/her realm

Aite mathve taaj mohabbat akkhaan vich nasha ibaadat ka
The crown of love adorns his head and there sustains an addiction of
prayer (or benediction) in his/her eyes.

Darbar aide vich ki raanjhe te mirese boliya pandein ne
In the court, Ranjha and Mirese sing the ballads of love

Ay husn de charne husn de charne husn de charne pee jaanda
Oye husn de charne pee jaanda

[Couldn't translate this line
Note: pee janda = to drink or to sip, Husn= face, charne= foot]

dil jee jaanda Oye saain aida saain meriyaan oye saain
dil jee jaanda aida kee jaanda
O God, the heart lives a life
O God, what is lost!

Hathlayayein sharma jaanda te tohrade murjha jaanda
The palms are ashamed (at marriage time) but when is broken, it's
withered

----------------

Dholana
Film:Thakshak

dholana dholana
O beloved
kaali raat unindara kachchiyan
The night is black and sleepless
supane rang-rangeele nun
(open) to colourful dreams
husn di chaadar ishq di lori
The covering of face, lullaby of love
par chaddara dil ki laihoon
which cover heart to take?

pyaar di chitthi chaadar vich
amidst the white cover of love
dil karada ai chhup jaavan noon
I want to hide
ji karada kade ji nai karada
jeevan noon mar jaavan noon
Sometime I wish to live and sometime even to die

dholana dholana ve dholana ve dholana

ishq na darda te na sangada
Love neither fears nor hesitates
kehain to dil diya galla hoon
Speaks of the matter of heart.

kooni hattha naal gire main
I have fallen in the hands of killer (????)
is noon challaan pakhiya hoon
and I run the hand fan (????!!!!)

[I have no idea what the last two lines are trying to say. I am
getting the literal meaning but completely confused about its
relation with rest of the song.]

--------------
Kariya Na
Film: Taal

Kariye na kariya na koi vaada kisise kariya na
Don't, don't ever promise to anyone

Kariye kariye ho ho
Kariye kariye to vaada phir todiye na
If you ever do (promise), then don't break it.

Haath kisika pakadiye na
Don't hold the hand of anyone
Pakadiye to phir chhodiye na
If you ever do (hold hand), then don't leave it

Mainu khich paindiye seene vich paindiye
I can feel an affinity in my heart

O mainu kuchh ho gaya
`something' happened to me
O mainu kuchh ho gaya duniya kehnidye
`something' happened to me, the entire world is saying so

O is kuchh ka naam jawaani hai
This `something' is called youth

Ye umr badi deewani hai
This age is very maddening

Sache sab sapne lagte hain begaane apne lagte hain
All dreams seem to be real, strangers seem to be known

Apne se munh modiye na, sapnon ke peechhe daudiye na
Don't take yourself away from relatives, don't run behind dreams

Aina badla vi nal main jud jaavaan
I want to be with these clouds
Ban java patang main ud jaavaa
Like a kite, I want to fly away

Koi pardesi aavega
Some stranger will come
Teri doli le jaavega
And take you with him (by marrying)
Main saari rasmein todoongi
I will break all rituals
Baabul ka ghar nahin chhodoongi
I wont leave my father's house
Takdeeron ka munh kholiye na
Don't open the mouth of fate
Chup rahiye kuchh boliye na
Be quiet, don't say anything

--------------
Sona Sona
Album: Bombay Dreams

Sona sona mera sona
Sona sona mera mahi sona
My darling is like gold
Mera rang de lalariya
colour me red
Rang de dupatta mera, rang de lalariya
Colour my veil in red
Mere hathon me laga de rang mehendi lalariya
Apply red mehendi in my palms

Mil gaya, mujhe mil gaya
I have found
Rahmaton ka rang khil gaya
(My) all prayers are bloomed in colours
Sab gale mile shagun manye e
Let's all embrace and follow the rituals
Sajna ke geet sunaye e
Let's sing songs for beloved

[My BD cassette broke down so I had to rely on my memory for the
lyrics. Can anybody send me the complete lyrics?]

Durba