I just finished listening to an interview programme on Vividh Bharati
101FM in Pune. The person being interviewed was Udit Narayan. He was
asked question on his National award winning efforts with Rahman's
song, This is what he said roughly..

Q > What are the memories of your working with Rahman ?
A > I was called for the recording in Chennai at night. I was curious
to know as to why Rahman records at night. But when I reached there,
I got my answer. Probably nighttime peace and  quietitude helps him
focuss better and create these melodious songs. When everybody sleeps
Rahman creates magic.

I went inside, Jawed Saab met me. He gave me a piece of paper with
lyrics and said "I have an award winning song for you". I said
humbly " If you wish so, I am sure, it will happen", and it did.

(Udit sings unplugged) ....Mitwa, sun Mitwa..     ( from Lagaan )

-------
And the rest, as they say, is history.....

Best regards
Dinesh Vaidya
Pune     July 07, 6PM