Karthik/Sarathy and others,

I, as most Keralites, have lived with this allegation of Ottagathai-
Kuyiline connection, ever since Gentleman hit the stores. It does
sound similar in the opening lines from "ottagathai" to "Pottukkaari",
but I really cant call this a copy like the enormous songs listed in
Karthik's site are (same applies to the Telugu song connection too).

And if you still call this a copy, then that opens a Pandora's box,
and 1000s of songs by every MD in India also would have to find a
place in itwofs. (A certain Tamil MD who came as a "lightning" should
find all his songs listed in itwofs against another ARR song, if thats
the case) ;-)

Anyway, What goes into itwofs or not is completely Karthik's
discretion, and I dont think anybody has any right to say anything or
question Karthik on that.

Also, Telugu version of Gentleman released long time back
and "Kontegadni Kattuko" was a smash hit in AP as in other parts of
India too. I just cant understand how nobody would miss this "copy"
all these years. (especially since the Telugu album is said to be a
super hit album of early 90s - it sold 8 lakh cassettes as per a
website. Probably more than Gentleman sold in AP. So, no obscure song
this!)

This also reminds me of another old allegation that "Varayo Thozhi /
Kehne ko Dadi" resembling "O mere Sona Re".
ARR himself had answered this in his Filmfare interview in Aug 99.
(pasting it below)

Q: Have you ever lifted a tune?
ARR: "Not intentionally. But there was some strings of melody in a
song of Jeans which I was told sounded much like Mere sona re (Teesri
Manzil). I don't know how it happened,it was inadvertent...maybe
R.D.Burman's tune was lingering somewhere at the back of my mind".

And to end this rather large mail, please allow me to quote what
Karthik himself posted in Dec 05 in this very same group.

"And ultimately, its only your belief that, as a person, Rahman is
honest, that is being questioned."

And that should explain the reaction and angst of Sarathy and the
1000s of other silent members of this group.

Hope we can end this topic and move on to discuss better things in
this group.
Any idea when ATM is releasing? Anybody? :-)

Thanks and regards,
Vinod