Some of the so called quotes are suspect.  Have a hard time believing
that Rahman would say, "Today's new singers are of no use".  Or
say, "Rubbish!" in response to a question.  Take this interview with
a grain of salt. Also notice how 9/10 of Rahman's "favorites" are
Hindi films.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "Shivakumar V A"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thats a wonderfull post Gops.. with Good Pics..
>
> So we got ARR's top 10..
>
> Shivu..
>
> On Nov 20, 2007 2:12 PM, Gopal Srinivasan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >   In a new interview to Hindustan Times published in today's
Mumbai
> > edition
> >
> > Read interview here
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfans/2049191814/
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfans/2048404561/
> >
> > The text below has the formatting messed up:
> >
> > 'I HAVEN\'T COME ACROSS ANY NEW SINGER WHO IS ABOVE AVERAGE\'
> >
> > If I say I like my music, I'll be blowing my own trumpet. And if
I say I
> > don't like my music, I'll sound disgruntled
> >

> > Whatever happened to your unruly locks? When I went for Haj, I
shaved off
> > my long hair. Fortunately or unfortunately, my wife liked my new
look.. she
> > insisted that I should keep it. (Laughs) I had no other
alternative but to
> > listen to my wife. Does your style of composing music change when
you do an
> > international project like Elizabeth: The Golden Age? The music
for
> > Elizabeth.. has been co-composed by me. When Shekhar started the
project, he
> > wanted to make it very artistic and dark. But then, he decided to
make the
> > film more entertaining.. and the music more pulsating.
> >
> > As a composer, I'd say music stems from one's emotions. So,
there's
> > absolutely no difference in my approach, whether I'm composing
for Jodhaa
> > Akbar or Elizabeth. When you look back, how do you assess your
music? Roja
> > set the standard for me as a composer. And frankly, I can't guage
where to
> > go after Elizabeth. Let's see.. at this very point of time, I'm
very excited
> > about my next international album - The Lord of The Rings which
will be
> > released on December 10. It has many as 15 tracks. As much as
20000 pounds
> > would be spent a day on the orchestration. I believe you have
started your
> > own music company. Yes. It's called K M Musiq. I'm really kicked
about it.
> > All these years, I was being commissioned by others.. now I can
commission
> > others. But it seems you now insist on royalty
> > foreverymusicscore..whichiswhyyou couldn't compose for Om Shanti
Om. In
> > life, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to take
certain
> > risks to reach your goal. Which have
> > been your most vital steps ahead? Undoubtedly Vande Mataram and ,
the
> > score for the stage musical Bombay Dreams. What do you find wrong
with the
> > Indian film music industry? There are several problems. The
saddest thing is
> > that no one takes acoustic instruments seriously. Most musicians
just prefer
> > to work on keyboards. But I've stopped getting angry One should .
> >
> > be true to one's own self.. because one candle can light a
million. Do you
> > still work like an owl all night and sleep by day? That's
rubbish! If that
> > was true, I wouldn't be sitting here with you doing an inteview
in the
> > afternoon. I work at night, occasionally , whenever I'm dealing
with a jet
> > lag situation, not otherwise. How busy are you as a music
director right
> > now? I'm into a somewhat more relaxed pace now. There was a time
when I'd be
> > doing six Tamil and two to three Hindi films a year. How many
Tamil films
> > are you working on at this point of time? (Laughs) Ha! That's a
good
> > question. I wish I knew the answer. I'm doing two Tamil films –
Sultan, the
> > animation film being made by Rajnikant's daughter Soundarya and
Prabhu's
> > Sakkarakkatti. And Hindi films? Well, let me see. Gajini, Ada,
Jaane Tu Naa
> > Jaane Naa, Delhi 6, the Hindi dubbed version of the Rajnikant
movie Sivaji,
> > Subhash Ghai's Main Hoon Yuvraj and Ashutosh Gowariker's Jodhaa
Akbar. You
> > were against the idea of composing for dubbed films. So, how did
you make
> > an exception for Sivaji? You're right there.I don't encourage the
dubbing
> > of my songs in other languages. Yes, so Sivaji is an exception.
It has beaty
> > foot-tap , ping music which should connect on an all-India level.
You are
> > often accused of working for big production banners at the cost
of small
> > films. Sorry, that isn't true at all. Otherwise, I wouldn't be
doing
> > Sakkarakkatti which is a small film. Are you composing the music
for an
> > animation film called Cockroach being planned by Shekhar Kapur?
Yes. I'm
> > excited about that. Animation films allow your imagination to
take flight.
> > What do you like about your music? That's a tricky question. If I
say I like
> > my music, I'll be blowing my own trumpet. And if I say I don't
like my
> > music, I'll sound disgruntled. Some film producers in the South
have accused
> > you of recruiting Hindi singers to do the playback for your Tamil
films at
> > their
> > cost. I will gladly plead guilty of that. Because I don't believe
in
> > parochialism. On the other hand, if I feel that a Tamil singer
suits the
> > need of a Hindi film song, I'll take that route without thinking
twice. Why
> > have you cut down on giving breaks to new singers of late? Let me
make this
> > very clear -today, new singers aren't of much use. We need great
new
> > singers. I haven't come across any new singer who's above
average. How do
> > you prevent yourself from becoming complacent about your music?
(Pause..
> > looks away) I was clear right from the moment when I started out,
some 16-17
> > years ago, as a beginner called Dilip Shankar. I was clear that
I'm just an
> > instrument in the hands of God. I believe that God up there
controls me in
> > whatever I am doing. If don't work in accordance to what God
ordains, then
> > I'll be washed out. After composing major hit songs for Aamir
Khan in
> > Rangeela, Lagaan and Rang De Basanti, how come you haven't done
his Taare
> > Zameen
> > Par? Have you fallen out with him? Who says so? I am composing
for his
> > film Gajini. Some people have unfairly jumped to the conclusion
that Aamir
> > and I've had a fight because I haven't done Taare Zameen Par. The
fact is
> > that I was committed to several other films when Aamir asked me
to be a part
> > of the project. Finally, top of the head, can you pick your 10
best movie
> > music scores? It's very difficult to play favourites. Still.. I
wouldn't
> > hesitate to pick my top 10: Roja, Rangeela, Bombay, Dil Se, Taal,
> > Kandukonden Kandukonden, Zubeidaa, Lagaan, Rang De Basanti and
Guru.