Indian composer A.R. Rahman opens music school
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2008/01/08/rahman-music-school.html

Well-known Indian composer A.R. Rahman has opened a school to train
promising musicians in the southern Indian city of Chennai, a newspaper
reported Tuesday.

Rahman said he felt the need for a school to teach talented musicians
production and technology skills.

[image: A.R. Rahman, here attending the opening night after party for
Broadway's version of Bombay Dreams in 2004, is one of India's best known
composers.]*A.R. Rahman, here attending the opening night after party for
Broadway's version of Bombay Dreams in 2004, is one of India's best known
composers.*
*(Evan Agostini/Getty) *

"I have finally opened my music conservatory," he told the Mumbai Mirror
newspaper. "In the coming months we will have students and singers training
in performances and production."

One of India's leading composers, Rahman produced the music for the stage
musical version of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy *The Lord of the Rings*, which
premiered in Toronto, for Andrew Lloyd Webber's *Bombay Dreams* and songs
for more than 120 movies, including Canadian director Deepa Mehta's
elements trilogy: *Fire*, *Earth* and *Water*.

"Having the knowledge of both music performances and music technology is
invaluable," Rahman was quoted as saying. "The skill to perform
an instrument combined with production capabilities will ensure many more
career opportunities."

He said he also hopes the school will nurture gifted musicians who could be
part of an orchestra that he dreams of starting.

"Indian composers usually travel abroad to record with orchestras. My vision
is to provide an orchestra in India," Rahman said.