Keith has always played the "bass" guitars.. I think maybe you are
thinking of the accoustic guitars (Prasanna, Kabuli, Neil
(?),Raashid Ali, George Peter in shows).. and Christy Sam and
Raashid play electric guitars. The guitar in Only You is played by
Kabuli, but he can't pull it off for live shows apparently. That's
why you never hear the song in live shows..

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "arr_raghu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Been in an impression that July Maadham
> was played by Guitar Prasanna. or Both?
> Raghu
>
> --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Vithur <vithurm@> wrote:
> >
> > Rahmaniacs,
> >
> > Keith peters , has been a famous base guitarist and has been
assosciated
> > with ARR right from Roja till Sivaji.
> >
> > *1. When did you meet ARR ?.*
> >
> > I met Rahman in 1988, when I was working for Music Director Raj
Koti. At
> > that time, he was around 18 years old. In 1990, when he was doing
> jingles,
> > he had called me for doing jingles. He has always been a very
quiet
> boy. We
> > used to have lot of discussions about music. I have played a lot
of ad
> > jingles, themes with Rahman. I was working in a Five Star Hotel,
and
> used to
> > play base guitar every night. One night he called me and asked
me to
> come
> > and play for a song in 1991. That was for Chinna Chinna Aasai (
Roja
> ) . I
> > asked him what was this for, for which he replied " I am doing a
> movie, and
> > hopefully it comes out well". I told him that it would
definitely be

*

> > Each song of Rahman is a different experience. He is a very great
> and good
> > composer, and hence each song is a unique experience. It seems
> Keith's speed
> > of playing is so much, that Rahman used to tell him " You should
> wait more
> > than you play ".
> >
> > *4. What is your experience in doing Live Programs ??*
> >
> > They are totally different from recordings. You have to be
really alert
> > especially for Rahman songs. Its because you have to duplicate
the same
> > thing thats on the record. My experience has been a different
experience
> > playing for his concerts. we have to practise nicely and deliver
> >
> > *5. Which are the programs that you have enjoyed a lot ?*
> >
> > I play all different styles of music, like pop, jazz, rock and of
> course for
> > Rahman for Tamil Songs. I like little bit of Jazz. Even rahman
loves
> that.
> > My kinf od Jazz is little modern. Each person on the band
improvises
> on a
> > particular theme.
> >
> > *6. which song of Rahman did you love playing ?*
> >
> > All his songs are so beautiful. Esp Chinna chinna Aasai, Pudhu
Vellai
> > Mazhai. Then came July Madham ( Pudhiya Mugam ) , Netru Illadha
Matram (
> > Pudhiya Mugam ) . My base guitar was prominent in Kaadhal Rojave
(
> Roja )
> > and even Kadhal Sadugudu ( Alaipyudhey )
> >
> > *7. what are the different styles of Base Guitar ?*
> >
> > The style that we play with fingers is called peeking style.
Then is the
> > slab style with the thumb and the forefinger. Then comes the
walking
> base(
> > swing pattern )
> >
> > Swing Pattern :- Kannum Kannum ( Thiruda Thiruda ) ( Fast
running base )
> > Slab Base - Kadhal Sadugudu ( Alaipayudhey )
> >
> > *8. Is there any song that you have not played for rahman ?*
> >  ( Laughs)  That we have to ask him. Before, when Tamil, Kannada,
> and Telugu
> > recording were done at the same place, I used to play for 3 songs
> the same
> > day. But I can play for 10 songs in the same day.
> >
> > 9. *How many Children ?*
> >
> > MY wife is a housewife. I have two children. But all the support
for me
> > comes from my wife. My daugther is studying in her Final year in
Stell
> > Marrys ( Chennai ) and my son is in his eighth standard. My son
is
> learning
> > rhthym guitar. Daugther was learning some piano, but stopped
now . I
> come
> > from a family of musicians. My father used to play any
instrument.
> Just take
> > and play. he was not full into music. My brothers are all
musicians.
> One is
> > a Base guitarist. he is in Mumbai . His name is Carl Peters, and
the
> other
> > one is in Delhi. he is also a guitarist. Carl plays for films.
The other
> > brother plays in Hotels. Basically, we are all Anglo Indians .
and hence
> > can't speak Tamil fluently.
> >
> > *10. Is there any song which was recorded the entire night with
> Rahman ?*
> >
> > Yes. The song " Oh Maria Oh Maria " from Kadhalar Dhinam. we
played
> it . But
> > Rahman didn't like it . So we were trying different patterns.
Then
> we did
> > Roja Roja from the same film, and these two songs took the entire
> night for
> > us. I came home the next evening.
> >
> > *11. Have you ever thought why I am wasting my time and energy
the
> entire
> > night and my skills are getting minimised here ??*
> >
> > No. I love working with Rahman. Its really wonderful to work
with. So
> > pleasing and he is open to ideas. when we are working with
Rahman,
> we do not
> > think abt sleeep . I am excited to do my best and make Rahman
happy.

> > *12. What kind of relationship do you share with Rahman ?*
> >
> > I respect him a lot as a good musician. Good friend and for his
level
> > headedness. He is so big but nothing has happened to his head.
and I
> admire
> > him for that. I keep telling this to everybody. Look at RAHMAN.
> >
> > *13. How much are you religious ?*
> >
> > I fear GOD. I thank God for all the blessings that he has
showered
> on me.
> >
> > *14. Which praise can never be forgotten in your life ?*
> >
> > Rahman has praised me by saying " God Bless your hands ". Once I
hurt my
> > thumb while recording. That time Rahman's incharge Samydurai had
> called me
> > for recording. I said I cant come. When I showed my thumb to
Rahman,
> he said
> > " There are lot of evil eyes on you. People have casted eyes on
you.
> Take
> > care ".
> >
> > *15. Why everybody calles you as UNCLE ?  ( Fun part )*
> >
> > Because they are mad. There was this guitarist player called
Johnny who
> > started all this. He used to play for Rahman at times. Then it
was
> continued
> > by H. Sridhar ( Rahman's Engineer ), and the entire team started
> calling me
> > as Uncle
> >
> > *16. Which place do you like in the world ?*
> >
> > I like America a lot. Thanks goes to Rahman. First , we went to
> Malayasia,
> > Dubai. *Its only because of Rahman, that I have seen the whole
world*. I
> > have travelled a lot with Rahman. I like the US because of the
music,
> > country and the place. I buy Base Guitars in New York in Guitar
> Centre, New
> > York Elley. My children are my best fans. They keep praising me
and
> telling
> > me and my wife . Once in chicago, there was a boy who was running
> all along
> > the stadium telling that he was a fan of Keith.
> >
> > *17. Which are the  songs which you feel has come out
wonderfully with
> > Rahman ?*
> >
> > July Madham, Chaiyya Chaiyya, Aiyoo Pathickicchi, Snegidhane .
> >
> > *18. You have seen so many music directors come , right from
1984 .
> How is
> > the industry progressing ?*
> >
> > I feel everybody is following Rahman's style, the patterns. But
even if
> > anybody comes, Rahman goes a step ahead. He is the man who comes
> with new
> > sounds always. *HE IS THE BOSS. *
> >
> > *19. Has Rahman asked you for any new sounds anytimes ?*
> >
> > Sometimes, I take a process. But he says No. he always says "
Take
> it dry",
> > and then he processes it. he always calls me last before he is
going
> to mix
> > the sound to the song. he has got his own reason, and he knows
best . He
> > knows what he is doing. I get the full feel of the song when I
play.
> He lets
> > me play and do whatver I want. generally, he likes whatver I
play. It
> > synchronises well with his thought. Because he knows what he
wants.
> Rahman
> > revolutioned the Music sound. in 1990s, and he gave a lot of
> importance to
> > base guitar. It was he who brought this forward, as introductions
> for songs.
> >

> > *For eg :-* Alaipayudhey - Kadhal Sadugudu ( the initial guitar
bit
> comes in
> > front of the song )
> > Dil Se re song ( the pattern follows before )
> > Chaiyya Chaiyya ( there is a pattern )
> > Akkadu ( Indian ) He plays and shows all the patterns )
> > Kadhal Rojave ( roja )
> > chinna Chinna aasai ( Roja )
> > Rangeela ( Haire Haire pattern )
> >
> > Fusion Music have played for zakir Hussain, Hariharan
> >
> > *final Words* :- Listen to good music... STOP PIRACY.. Listen to
Non