Rahmaniacs,

Keith peters , has been a famous base guitarist and has been assosciated
with ARR right from Roja till Sivaji.

*1. When did you meet ARR ?.*

I met Rahman in 1988, when I was working for Music Director Raj Koti. At
that time, he was around 18 years old. In 1990, when he was doing jingles,
he had called me for doing jingles. He has always been a very quiet boy. We
used to have lot of discussions about music. I have played a lot of ad
jingles, themes with Rahman. I was working in a Five Star Hotel, and used to
play base guitar every night. One night he called me and asked me to come
and play for a song in 1991. That was for Chinna Chinna Aasai ( Roja ) . I
asked him what was this for, for which he replied " I am doing a movie, and
hopefully it comes out well". I told him that it would definitely be a hit,
and not to worry.

*2. What are the songs that you have played for Rahman ?*

First of all, all songs I used to play in the night. Rahman was the cause
behind me leaving the Hotel. he told me " *leave the hotel; Play for me".* I
thank him a lot for getting me out of that hotel.

*3. What was your experience of working with Rahman during Roja ?*

Each song of Rahman is a different experience. He is a very great and good
composer, and hence each song is a unique experience. It seems Keith's speed
of playing is so much, that Rahman used to tell him " You should wait more
than you play ".

*4. What is your experience in doing Live Programs ??*

They are totally different from recordings. You have to be really alert
especially for Rahman songs. Its because you have to duplicate the same
thing thats on the record. My experience has been a different experience
playing for his concerts. we have to practise nicely and deliver

*5. Which are the programs that you have enjoyed a lot ?*

I play all different styles of music, like pop, jazz, rock and of course for
Rahman for Tamil Songs. I like little bit of Jazz. Even rahman loves that.
My kinf od Jazz is little modern. Each person on the band improvises on a
particular theme.

*6. which song of Rahman did you love playing ?*

All his songs are so beautiful. Esp Chinna chinna Aasai, Pudhu Vellai
Mazhai. Then came July Madham ( Pudhiya Mugam ) , Netru Illadha Matram (
Pudhiya Mugam ) . My base guitar was prominent in Kaadhal Rojave ( Roja )
and even Kadhal Sadugudu ( Alaipyudhey )

*7. what are the different styles of Base Guitar ?*

The style that we play with fingers is called peeking style. Then is the
slab style with the thumb and the forefinger. Then comes the walking base(
swing pattern )

Swing Pattern :- Kannum Kannum ( Thiruda Thiruda ) ( Fast running base )
Slab Base - Kadhal Sadugudu ( Alaipayudhey )

*8. Is there any song that you have not played for rahman ?*
 ( Laughs)  That we have to ask him. Before, when Tamil, Kannada, and Telugu
recording were done at the same place, I used to play for 3 songs the same
day. But I can play for 10 songs in the same day.

9. *How many Children ?*

MY wife is a housewife. I have two children. But all the support for me
comes from my wife. My daugther is studying in her Final year in Stell
Marrys ( Chennai ) and my son is in his eighth standard. My son is learning
rhthym guitar. Daugther was learning some piano, but stopped now . I come
from a family of musicians. My father used to play any instrument. Just take
and play. he was not full into music. My brothers are all musicians. One is
a Base guitarist. he is in Mumbai . His name is Carl Peters, and the other
one is in Delhi. he is also a guitarist. Carl plays for films. The other
brother plays in Hotels. Basically, we are all Anglo Indians . and hence
can't speak Tamil fluently.

*10. Is there any song which was recorded the entire night with Rahman ?*

Yes. The song " Oh Maria Oh Maria " from Kadhalar Dhinam. we played it . But
Rahman didn't like it . So we were trying different patterns. Then we did
Roja Roja from the same film, and these two songs took the entire night for
us. I came home the next evening.

*11. Have you ever thought why I am wasting my time and energy the entire
night and my skills are getting minimised here ??*

No. I love working with Rahman. Its really wonderful to work with. So
pleasing and he is open to ideas. when we are working with Rahman, we do not
think abt sleeep . I am excited to do my best and make Rahman happy.

*12. What kind of relationship do you share with Rahman ?*

I respect him a lot as a good musician. Good friend and for his level
headedness. He is so big but nothing has happened to his head. and I admire
him for that. I keep telling this to everybody. Look at RAHMAN.

*13. How much are you religious ?*

I fear GOD. I thank God for all the blessings that he has showered on me.

*14. Which praise can never be forgotten in your life ?*

Rahman has praised me by saying " God Bless your hands ". Once I hurt my
thumb while recording. That time Rahman's incharge Samydurai had called me
for recording. I said I cant come. When I showed my thumb to Rahman, he said
" There are lot of evil eyes on you. People have casted eyes on you. Take
care ".

*15. Why everybody calles you as UNCLE ?  ( Fun part )*

Because they are mad. There was this guitarist player called Johnny who
started all this. He used to play for Rahman at times. Then it was continued
by H. Sridhar ( Rahman's Engineer ), and the entire team started calling me
as Uncle

*16. Which place do you like in the world ?*

I like America a lot. Thanks goes to Rahman. First , we went to Malayasia,
Dubai. *Its only because of Rahman, that I have seen the whole world*. I
have travelled a lot with Rahman. I like the US because of the music,
country and the place. I buy Base Guitars in New York in Guitar Centre, New
York Elley. My children are my best fans. They keep praising me and telling
me and my wife . Once in chicago, there was a boy who was running all along
the stadium telling that he was a fan of Keith.

*17. Which are the  songs which you feel has come out wonderfully with
Rahman ?*

July Madham, Chaiyya Chaiyya, Aiyoo Pathickicchi, Snegidhane .

*18. You have seen so many music directors come , right from 1984 . How is
the industry progressing ?*

I feel everybody is following Rahman's style, the patterns. But even if
anybody comes, Rahman goes a step ahead. He is the man who comes with new
sounds always. *HE IS THE BOSS. *

*19. Has Rahman asked you for any new sounds anytimes ?*

Sometimes, I take a process. But he says No. he always says " Take it dry",
and then he processes it. he always calls me last before he is going to mix
the sound to the song. he has got his own reason, and he knows best . He
knows what he is doing. I get the full feel of the song when I play. He lets
me play and do whatver I want. generally, he likes whatver I play. It
synchronises well with his thought. Because he knows what he wants. Rahman
revolutioned the Music sound. in 1990s, and he gave a lot of importance to
base guitar. It was he who brought this forward, as introductions for songs.

*For eg :-* Alaipayudhey - Kadhal Sadugudu ( the initial guitar bit comes in
front of the song )
Dil Se re song ( the pattern follows before )
Chaiyya Chaiyya ( there is a pattern )
Akkadu ( Indian ) He plays and shows all the patterns )
Kadhal Rojave ( roja )
chinna Chinna aasai ( Roja )
Rangeela ( Haire Haire pattern )

Fusion Music have played for zakir Hussain, Hariharan

*final Words* :- Listen to good music... STOP PIRACY.. Listen to Non Pirated
Music. , be confident and never take success to your heads.

--
regards,
Vithur

A.R.RAHMAN -  MY BREATH & LIFE FORCE