Aesthetic Judgment (Taste)

I don’t have to tell you that ARR’s taste is of the highest possible kind
compared with composers of all time. I mean how many composers the world-over
has ever had the privilege of being compared to the ideal of Mozart, let alone
being called one? Not even the kings of melody of the West – Richard Rogers (of
The Sound of Music (59) fame) Sir Francis Lai (Love Story (1970)), Maurice Jarr
(Dr. Zhivago (1965)), or even Ennio Morricone, who have written some of the
most soulful and moving music I have ever heard, have been told they are like
Mozart, at least not to my knowledge. Most music lovers, and all great minds,
Leo Tolstoy and Albert Einstein among them, have acknowledged unanimously that
Mozart’s music is the most perfect and the most universal imagined, no, let me
use the word conjured, by any human being; because imagination, to many, could
still mean there’s some conscious involvement in that process of creation;
perhaps, it is still a conscious process, but it is a far superior sense of
consciousness that, by average human standards, it cannot be called one. If
anybody here has seen the Oscar-winning movie Amadeus (84) by Milos Forman, you
can see why it is so: Mozart’s music, to use a phrase Einstein once used, seems
like have simply been ‘plucked out of the universe’; the great scientist who
adored Mozart and used to play his Sonatas on his little violin when he wanted
a break from his scientific pursuits, says that compared to Mozart, Beethoven’s
music feels ‘too personal, almost naked.’ Tolstoy, in his polemical book ‘What
is Art?’ destroys the kind of conscious creativity that he believes Beethoven
and the followers of the Romantic movement that he charted, Richard Wagner, for
example, brought about to Europe, overthrowing the musical dominance of the
spontaneous and universal music of Mozart.

In essence, Mozart’s music and its perfection are not a result of conscious
processing, they come from a superior sense of natural harmony and an extremely
rare capability of letting go of one’s self and connecting with the universal
spirit and listening to it in all its infinite beauty. There cannot be a more
fitting description of ARR’s music and how he has conjured his magical output
over the years; and it is no accident that the West would offer up their ideal
for comparison with the best the East has offered to date. That sort of taste,
a sincere kinship with the natural harmony and beauty of the universe, with
God, if you will, years in an industry cannot fade away or dilute, and, if
anything, I can confidently say that ARR’s taste has, over the years, been
refined like fine old wine, and I have not witnessed an instance where his
aesthetic judgment, given the proper opportunities, has faltered beyond
identification. In his choice of movies, directors, and lyrics, there maybe
exceptions, but I will address these in a later category.

It is difficult to pin down one or two works from the 92-96 period in which,
like Rano said, beauty oozed out of every single phrase that he weaved, but I
will pick two of my favorite songs ‘Kannalane’ from Bombay (95) and ‘Uyirum
Neeye’ from Pavitra (94) in which I think ARR achieves the highest form of
perfection. Sometime back, I analyzed the beauty of the song Uyirum Neeye from
a conceptual viewpoint, so if anybody is interested, let me know and I will
send it to you or post it on the forum. Kannalane (or Kehna Hai Kya), I hear,
has entered the music textbooks in certain parts of the world (Canada, if I
recall correctly)! Yes, these are songs of superior beauty that they have that
universal appeal that Tolstoy hailed as the finest ingredient of the greatest
of art.

What about now? What are the ARR compositions within the past 5 years which
evoke the same feelings in me? Piya Ho from Water (2005) and Do Kadam from
Meenaxi (2004) for sure are my favorites from this period with Tere Bina from
Guru not too far off. When I refer to the perfection of these songs, I mean
that I don’t feel that I need to remove any part, any phrase, any instrument,
sound or note, everything is in the right place at the right time! If anybody
felt differently about these songs, I would be curious to know which parts
destroy the perfection of these songs. I can write an essay on the song Do
Kadam and will do soon so that I can back up my feelings just like I did with
Uyirum Neeye. Do Kadam is so personal for me that I don’t want to hold it up as
universal! This song symbolizes what ARR and I share in silence without
speaking a single word with each-other, but by connecting to the same universal
spirit that we both trust wholeheartedly and by whose mysterious ways we are
awed day in and day out. The highest taste, as Immanuel Kant defines it, is
always subjective, but universal, and it will always flow from God and only
God; Not only is ARR connected with Him, he can articulate His beauty with such
ease and finesse that it brings many a tear to my eye thinking how much of my
faith I owe to ARR; Even as I share this very personal story with you, I can
feel a warm tear roll down my cheek. Now if that’s not beauty, I don’t know
what is.