Fantastic writeup.  Good choice of words and you are obviously very
educated and well read.  I esp. like your last paragraph, about
sharing that unsaid silence with ARR and paying tribute to the harmony
and divinity around us.  I can TOTALLY relate. You expressed yourself
very beautifully and poignantly.  I'm going to save your writeup!!!!

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Dasun Abeysekera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Aesthetic Judgment (Taste)
>
> I don't have to tell you that ARR's taste is of the highest possible
kind compared with composers of all time. I mean how many composers
the world-over has ever had the privilege of being compared to the
ideal of Mozart, let alone being called one? Not even the kings of
melody of the West – Richard Rogers (of The Sound of Music (59) fame)
Sir Francis Lai (Love Story (1970)), Maurice Jarr (Dr. Zhivago
(1965)), or even Ennio Morricone, who have written some of the most
soulful and moving music I have ever heard, have been told they are
like Mozart, at least not to my knowledge. Most music lovers, and all
great minds, Leo Tolstoy and Albert Einstein among them, have
acknowledged unanimously that Mozart's music is the most perfect and
the most universal imagined, no, let me use the word conjured, by any
human being; because imagination, to many, could still mean there's
some conscious involvement in that process of creation; perhaps, it is
still a conscious process, but it is a far superior sense of
consciousness that, by average human standards, it cannot be called
one. If anybody here has seen the Oscar-winning movie Amadeus (84) by
Milos Forman, you can see why it is so: Mozart's music, to use a
phrase Einstein once used, seems like have simply been `plucked out of
the universe'; the great scientist who adored Mozart and used to play
his Sonatas on his little violin when he wanted a break from his
scientific pursuits, says that compared to Mozart, Beethoven's music
feels `too personal, almost naked.' Tolstoy, in his polemical book
`What is Art?' destroys the kind of conscious creativity that he
believes Beethoven and the followers of the Romantic movement that he
charted, Richard Wagner, for example, brought about to Europe,
overthrowing the musical dominance of the spontaneous and universal
music of Mozart.

> In essence, Mozart's music and its perfection are not a result of
conscious processing, they come from a superior sense of natural
harmony and an extremely rare capability of letting go of one's self
and connecting with the universal spirit and listening to it in all
its infinite beauty. There cannot be a more fitting description of
ARR's music and how he has conjured his magical output over the years;
and it is no accident that the West would offer up their ideal for
comparison with the best the East has offered to date. That sort of
taste, a sincere kinship with the natural harmony and beauty of the
universe, with God, if you will, years in an industry cannot fade away
or dilute, and, if anything, I can confidently say that ARR's taste
has, over the years, been refined like fine old wine, and I have not
witnessed an instance where his aesthetic judgment, given the proper
opportunities, has faltered beyond identification. In his choice of
movies, directors, and lyrics, there maybe exceptions, but I will
address these in a later category.

> It is difficult to pin down one or two works from the 92-96 period
in which, like Rano said, beauty oozed out of every single phrase that
he weaved, but I will pick two of my favorite songs `Kannalane' from
Bombay (95) and `Uyirum Neeye' from Pavitra (94) in which I think ARR
achieves the highest form of perfection. Sometime back, I analyzed the
beauty of the song Uyirum Neeye from a conceptual viewpoint, so if
anybody is interested, let me know and I will send it to you or post
it on the forum. Kannalane (or Kehna Hai Kya), I hear, has entered the
music textbooks in certain parts of the world (Canada, if I recall
correctly)! Yes, these are songs of superior beauty that they have
that universal appeal that Tolstoy hailed as the finest ingredient of
the greatest of art.

> What about now? What are the ARR compositions within the past 5
years which evoke the same feelings in me? Piya Ho from Water (2005)
and Do Kadam from Meenaxi (2004) for sure are my favorites from this
period with Tere Bina from Guru not too far off. When I refer to the
perfection of these songs, I mean that I don't feel that I need to
remove any part, any phrase, any instrument, sound or note, everything
is in the right place at the right time! If anybody felt differently
about these songs, I would be curious to know which parts destroy the
perfection of these songs. I can write an essay on the song Do Kadam
and will do soon so that I can back up my feelings just like I did
with Uyirum Neeye. Do Kadam is so personal for me that I don't want to
hold it up as universal! This song symbolizes what ARR and I share in
silence without speaking a single word with each-other, but by
connecting to the same universal spirit that we both trust
wholeheartedly and by whose mysterious ways we are awed day in and day
out. The highest taste, as Immanuel Kant defines it, is always
subjective, but universal, and it will always flow from God and only
God; Not only is ARR connected with Him, he can articulate His beauty
with such ease and finesse that it brings many a tear to my eye
thinking how much of my faith I owe to ARR; Even as I share this very
personal story with you, I can feel a warm tear roll down my cheek.
Now if that's not beauty, I don't know what is.