http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Editorial/The_time_for_India_in_the_western_world_is_now/articleshow/2954406.cms

For A R Rahman, the world is a musical oyster. His musical
scores<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Editorial/The_time_for_India_in_the_western_world_is_now/articleshow/2954406.cms#>for
Tamil and Hindi films have been hugely popular. Having nurtured the
dream of creating a self-contained western music orchestra, he's now working
towards that dream. Rahman talks to Subhash K Jha:

At 41, is there a sense of satisfaction within you?

In my life I've always found dreams do come true, though often they come
true long after you've forgotten them. Just preserve your dream at the
bottom of your heart and wait for it to fructify. For six years I've been
nurturing a dream of giving western classical
music<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Editorial/The_time_for_India_in_the_western_world_is_now/articleshow/2954406.cms#>a
legitimacy in our country, to cultivate the dedication and discipline
of
orchestral
music<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Editorial/The_time_for_India_in_the_western_world_is_now/articleshow/2954406.cms#>in
our youngsters, who at the moment feel that western classical is too
distant and esoteric for them.

My ultimate dream is to create an orchestra that is capable of performing
the world's best musical pieces. Today, after carrying this dream in my
head, I'm ready to implement my passion for western music. We've launched
our music conservatory.

What do you hope to achieve?

I want to teach young musicians how to play within an orchestra. As things
stand if I want to record orchestral music I've to go to Prague. If
Ilaiyaraaja wants to record an epic score he goes to Budapest. Why can't we
do it right here in our own country? I want to build a repertoire of
musicians who can play western instruments as expertly as the sitar or
tabla. Our talented young musicians who want to learn western classical
music have to head for London. I want to give a certain legitimacy to
western classical music in our country.

Indian classical music has room for unlimited improvisation and spontaneity.
A classical recital requires far more formal discipline. And the whole
orchestra brings one emotion into play throughout a recital. We don't have
that discipline in our country. It used to be there. But now the younger
generation is more enthused by other forms of western music like
dance<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Editorial/The_time_for_India_in_the_western_world_is_now/articleshow/2954406.cms#>and
hip-hop.

Does this dream project mean you'd be moving away from film music?

No, my film compositions always have a core of classical music. When I say I
want to nurture orchestral music in our country it doesn't mean that the
students will be playing Bach and Beethoven all the time.

Now you're spending a lot of time at home rather than travelling.

I think the time for India in the western world is now. The respect for all
things Indian has gone up in recent times. We need to take an initiative to
propagate our culture. Yes, I've consciously cut down on assignments in
Mumbai. I'm happy I'm moving to another level. The unknown always fascinates
me. If it didn't, a Roja wouldn't have happened.

--
regards,
Vithur

Whatever God wants to give, no one can deny; Whatever God wants to deny, no
one can give. Be happy always