Dear Rahmaniacs,

Subhash Ghai, speaks abt Taal, Kisna, and also abt YUvraj. He also talks abt
the qualities of ARR. A very good Interview

Q :-  You didnt work on any Director. You were writing scripts. Tell us

SG ( Subhash Ghai ) :-  I was never assistant to any Director. Right from my
childhood, I used to write plays, direct them, in my college and University
Days. It was my hobby. The hobby turned into profession. I studied in Delhi,
and Pune.

Q: You produce movies, You direct and produce movies, and you direct movies.
Which among the three do you consider you are best at ?

SG :- I write, I direct and I produce. Three Jobs I have to do. There are
three persons in me, who keep fighting with each other. Writer keeps writing
longer version of scripts. Director wants to cut it; Producer wants to
control Director's economics; But I have managed to balance all this three,
very smartly and very intelligently.

Q :- what was your Dad and mom ?

SG :- Mom was a teacher in Delhi, and my father was a Dental doctor.

Q :- You have immense organational Capabilities and capacity. Who instills
all these qualities in you ?

Sg :- There are certain qualities ( traits ) which come from your family.
Positively, all those humlity, humbleness are from my mom. Practical Living
in this world , I learnt from my father. My father was more of a practical
person, and my mom was more philsophical and spiritual person.

Q :- Were you the only son or you had siblings ?

SG :- No. I had two brothers and one sister.

Q :- So, When did you meet RAHMAN ?

SG :- It was a long back story. It was 1993. I remember , Rahman's Roja Film
music was released. Few people were talking in Bombay. New boy coming out
with a genius quality in him, compared to other Music Director. So, I was
coming from Mysore to Bangalore. At that time, in the car, the driver was
playing songs of Roja. The songs were being played, and I asked him whose
film it is ?. He says that it is A.R. Rahman from Madras. I said, " ya ya. I
have heard his name". So, I kept hearing those songs. So, it was two to
three hours journey. So, I heard two three times. I could see a lot of
talent, innovative quality because I have been trained under Laxmikanth
Pyaralal for 20 years, and I had music sense from my childhood. So I had
developed an ear for music. I talked to him; I love your music and am
planning a film. I would like to have your services as Music Composer. So,
he was quite excited and he said, " Even I love your Film " Hero", and I
used to play Hero's tunes, while I was a keyboard player. So, immediately,
we clicked with each other. It was a very mutual admiration for each other,
and when I met him, I could see his clean and Divine qualities in this man.

I remember when he said, " Lets do a good job". I talked to him about money.
How much money I should pay?. He says, " Lets do a good music. We shall talk
about it later". So I understood his character, and that he is more
passionate about his work. And i started blending with him, and we started
to work on a film called SHIKHAR, which finally couldnt place. But then , it
happened in TAAL.

I would say, that I was the first from the Hindi Film Industry who noticed
him from the Bombay Industry and who came to work with him, and everyone in
Bombay Industry was surprised to see me coming down and working with a South
Indian Music Director. There were frowns and questions in Bombay, as to how
a Music Director from South India, could make music for a Hindi Film, and
find a place in Hindi Industry.

In Hindi Music, there is always a Northern Music which is dominating. So,
they were wondering, How I am going to justify ?. So, I told him, " Dont
worry. YOu know the Indian Classical and Western Music well". And he really
proved , while recording two songs . Ishq Bina Jeena Kya " was recorded
first, which I later on recorded in Taal. This song initially did not belong
to Taal. It was recorded for Shikhar. So, I could see the new kind of
vibrations and growth in me, treating myself.

We were colleagues, and not Guru. I could suggest him, the way Bolly wood
works, the way Punjabi or Bengali music works. I learnt a lot of things from
him, and of course can say, we shared knowledge together. It was always
mutual respect, appreciations and admirations. Things really made fine
strongly after TAAL. His music is always very challenging. A big Challenge
for a Director to picturise, and he comes out with a different kind of a
sound, different kind of phrases, which excites you, grows on you, on your
minds. by gradual time. First time, you may feel little offensive hearing
the sound, the kind of phrase it is. But when you listen it more, two three
four times, it goes on for ever. The quality in his music is that Divinity
in every song. be it be any song; A folk number or a dance number. He is at
peace and there is something very attractive , very spiritual. Spirituality
within himself has paid him a lot , and is revealed in his songs. I can
understand, that sad songs will have some sort of spirituality in them, but
having that quality in dancing numbers is ver rare. The Josh is there, but
peace always prevails. Thats the thing which I always admire in him.

The relationship between me and him is quite envious to other Directors.

Q :- How does your composing go ?

SG :- There is a secret. But anyway, I would like to share it here with you.
When I narrated full script to him, I told him the mood of the music. From
the musical point of view, I narrated the script. The situations which are
going to dominate. So that he gets an idea from me that this film requires
this. When I write a script, I think of music. There is rough kind of
structure, impression of music in my mind. and those impressions I pass it
out to my music Composer. I narrate the mood of the songs which I want;
Humming songs etc

The First song that was recorded for Taal was " Kareye Naa", and he had a
very tough time, because I had given him some very interior traits of a
Punjabi song. Though, he did not pick up any note from that song. He just
listened to it, and was quite panicky as to how to do that song. I remember
the trauma in his face while doing that song. But when he came out with that
song, it was so brilliant. Actually, he had given me tune. I had given that
tune to Anand Bakshi. Finally, when it came out, it was one of the most
brilliant songs . Sometimes, he composes three four tunes for me, and then
he leaves the studio, leaving the tape recorder with me, and I listen four
five tunes. , and pick the ones, which matches to my story. All four tunes
are good, but it has to match to my story.

Some tunes, I used to tell him to keep it for me for my next film, ( though
it was not matching for that particular story at present) . Then he keeps
smiling and says, " Sir. there are other producers too". I remember Taal
song. For Nahi Sammne song, I told him that it should be a sad song, and I
wanted something like John Alton singing, How John Alton sings. His kind of
songs. he looked at me, " Ok I understand . What you mean ". So , he told me
to give him the lyrics first. So I told Anand Bakshi to write the lyrics ,
and he took the lyrics and started singing in that style. That song had come
out so brilliantly, and its my most favourite song in that film.

Most of the Films, Rahman has been excellent. In totality, he is an
excellent composer. But it all depends sometimes on the story, The
director's demand, the producer and he  has to work accordingly. Its not
independent music alone. It is working with the team. But, the tracks of
Bombay shocked and amazed me, when I listened to the full track. I think
Bombay is the best track, he has produced. So many other movies are there.
But Bombay was a complete Album, including the Background Score. I still
have the Background Score Album with me. He had given to me. He has always
been brilliant with Maniratnam. Their rapport has been good always.

I hope I am doign Yuvraaj, and am trying to produce a good musical for that
film. Working with Rahman is a big challenge as a Director. You are
answerable to his compositions on the screen. That keeps me worried all the
time.

Unfortunately, I couldnt learn music. I have developed a ear for music. I
have listened to all kinds of music. I have huge collections of music all
over the world. Though I dont know much of Western Music, if you come to my
home, you can find a huge collection of Western Music collections.* I like
the sound part of it. and that can be found in YUvraaj a lot. He has done a
brilliant job in YUVRAAJ. *
* *
I think of the full Universe while making a film. I will always desire to
make Indian movies, and not an international film. Films is about people,
and you are expressing the story through your films, which have to suit your
own audiences. *People expect a Commercial Quality as well as a Box Office,
which is the biggest challenge for any Director, and which is killing me in
Yuvraaj.*

Kisna was revealed to me much later. I have written a story and picked up a
script belonging to the 1930s. It was a period kind of a film. And the hero
of such a film, belonged to a different set of values. Those Values were to
serve and respect parents and the like etc . MY hero belonged to such
Values, which did not click with the youngsters of 2000s. One of my nieces
told me, that she didnt like my picture of Kisna. Why shouldnt the hero
accept the White Girl, , when she is asking him to go to London?. Why shoudl
he die going back, leading such a painful life ?. I told her that it was a
story of the great grandfathers. So, it was not in line with the modern
trend.

I was very keen to work with Rahman. Rahman was the reeling force behind it.
I felt very bad, when my last film Shikhar was dropped, due to some
circumstances, and I had to make Pardes in between. So i did owe something
to rahman. I was making some historical films, and then decided that I must
make a musical film. A complete musical film. So I created a story, where
all characters were musical. Musical backdrop ; So, when you create all
these musical characters, you can pick up a thin story, so that you can
elucidate the music part of it. I kept the name as Taal, so that I can
commit to myself , and I came to Rahman and said, " Rahman . this is your
film. I have written a story. Its a very thin story. I am going to expand it
through music. I am very much depending on you, and you are going to be
responsible equally as I am. He took a challenge and TAal is in front of
you.

I think Rahman is much ahead with respect to sound, or senstivity is
concerned. I used to attend each and every recording of my songs. I woudl
stay at his studio and wait, irrespective of whether musicians were there or
not. I would also watch and observe the sound recording part of it. This
precisely the reason, why I and Rahman enjoy together. Nobody can beat
Rahman, as far as the sound is concerned.

Rahman is an artist who can connect with God and this world in equal
confidence. I am proud of Rahman, that he has thought over this idea about
this Km Music Conservatory, and he has been sharing this idea , since I
opened a International Film & Television Institute in Bombay. I have been
sharing this idea of opening a school for the past 15 years. He came and
visited the place. He is so thankful to God that he wants to share something
with the society. I know its not going to be a commercial viable proposition
for him. He is doing it for his passion. and its goodness in him, in sharing
this with the younger generation. He is earning whatever is sufficient for
an achiever. This is really a great and commendble job. I beleive the
students must utilise it to the maximum extent, as everytime you wont get
Rahman.

--
regards,
Vithur

Whatever God wants to give, no one can deny; Whatever God wants to deny, no
one can give. Be happy always