Boss

> None of the people that I have come across have ever heard Vairamuthu's
> name, let alone know that he is a poet, let alone hear his lyrics. I
> myself heard his name only in this list in connection with ARR and have
> never heard his lyrics.

Is that the criteria to determine greatness?

> Among Hindi music lovers, even Mehboob's name is more heard than
> Vairamuthu's name. Vairamuthu is not unpopular, Vairamuthu is totally
> unknown in cow belt.
>
>> In fact, some of his lyrics have been more effective for the song
>> situation than the HIndi Lyricists, as acknowledged by ARR himself,
>
> I have also heard about his greatness and I crave to listen to his
> lyrics. I wonder why doesn't he learn 200 words of Hindi to pen at least
> one Hindi original song for ARR so that we could also feel the greatness
> he is claimed to have.

Brother, the onus is on you to learn Tamil to understand his lyrics
rather than the other way around. He would probably be least concerned
if couple of people fail to acknowledge his talent.

> Maybe, ARR could take some initiative with the the help of bilinguals
> like Mehboob to give a glimpse of Vairamuthu's magic to Hindi music
> lovers. Like, Vairamuthu writes original tamil lyrics for a Hindi song
> of ARR, Mehboob translates it to Hindi, and then reverse translates it
> to Tamil to explain to Vairamuthu how his poem's various connotations
> are coming in hindi, depending of which Vairamuth modifies on and on and
> gives final approval to a Hindi lyrics that he feels conveys what he
> wished to convey. That will be a unique experiment.

I am not sure how that would help. There was a naughty line in
"Telephone Manipol" - Nee pogum idathil - aangalai vidamatten , sila
pengalai vidamatten - meaning I will not let men and "some" women come
to places where you go. In Hindi , it was translated to "Teri raahon
mein , koi mard na chodunga, aurat bhi na chodunga" which while
retaining most of the meaning didn't hit the point.

Each language has its idiosynchracies and elements which are unique to
it , which would make sense only in that language.

--
Warm Regards

"The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty
with the son who neglects them."

 Confucius