From: Vinayakam Murugan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 3 July, 2008 12:21:47 AM
Subject: Re: [arr] ARR's best pair

You do seem to be a man of very strong views and opinions, Rawat :)

> > I guess ARR's first duet was with Shwetha Shetty (Mangta hai kya -
> > Rangeela)
> >
> > However Lataji + ARR lukka chippi is the most impeccable one both give
> > the true picture to that song. Though Lataji sounds old its very muuch
> > required and ARR singing like a free bird in the air just thrilled to
> > conquer the height. A perfect song. This will be remembered in the
> > next years that has to come.
>
> Hmm, here also, I fully differ.
>
> RDB's music is not timeless. It will die in a year or so.

The beauty of RDB's music is that it fully gels with the movie while
having the capacity to stand alone. So it has the added advantage of
being remembered by movie buffs and music buffs.

> ARR has earlier given many a timeless songs -- if we hear Chayya Chayya,
> Tu hi Rey, Kahna Hi Kya, Kal Nahin tha jo kya hai, Ye jo zindagi hai and
> dozens of others even today with the same love and happiness that we
> felt it when we had heard them first few times. When we remember these
> songs, we go and pic the cassette/ cd/ mp3 and hear them again, and keep
> on hearing. That is what timeless is. Nadeem-Shravan' s Pardesi Jana
> Nahin is also such a timeless song, still retaining every ethos, pathos,
> beauty that it had more than a decade earlier.

Pardesi Jana Nahin, Are you serious??

> But, There are other songs by ARR which become hits, topped all charts
> at that time, but then lost steam in the course and today nobody craves
> to hear or mentions them. When did you last feel like listening to
> Muqqala Muqqala, columbus, Dil Ki chori ho gayi, O Mariya (dil hi dil
> mein), babu lo chal gaya and dozens of others. Not forgotten, we still
> love to talk about their past glory, but it doesn't enthuse us to hear
> them now. They are not timeless.

I keep revisiting my Rahman playlist on a regular basis. The ratio of
revisitable songs to one-time listens of ARR is much higher than most
other MDs..

> It is quite possible that you don't get to hear some good song for years
> or even decade, but still, when a reference of that song comes, one
> talks about just its past glory, or one feels a yearning to hear it
> again. That is what differentiates a timeless song from a limited-life song.
>
> I think RDB's songs are also having a short life span. They feel good to
> hear now, they are hits, topping the charts, but may be in a year from
> now, Khalbali, Roobaroo and Pathshala will be shelved. Will only be
> talked about as a history and will not be heard. Whereas, I think, title
> song will survive and start sounding further good with time.

Roobaru & Khalbali still raise goosebumps for me.

> Among the latest ones, Pappu can't dance will get shelved one or two
> years from now, and ADA will survive for generations to come.

Probably but Jaane Tu Mera Kya hai & Tu Bole would still survive.

Warm Regards
Vinayak
http://theregoesano therday.blogspot .com/

"The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty
with the son who neglects them."

Confucius

      Best Jokes, Best Friends, Best Food and more. Go to
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/