Taal Se Taal Mila from Taal is one of my all time favorite songs,
period.  What I find most captivating is how the song begins and
evolves bit by bit......first the water droplets, then the soft
Taranas by Sukhwinder the dholak, ghungrus, more droplets, then the
steady, mesmerizing rhythm with full ghungrus and dholak.  Heard that
Rahman asked the dholak player to tie ice cream sticks on his hands to
create a certain percussion sound.  Alka's singing is extremely
beautiful and never shrill, like she often sounds.

I find that the intro of Taal Se Taal is probably one of the most
brilliant, original, innovative starts to any Hindi film song ever.