I'm sorry, but to say that ARR's music in JA is an utter failure is
ridiculous to me.  ARR himself mentioned how proud he was of his work
in JA in interviews.  Why would he lie?  To be politically correct?
Please.  The audiences loved the music and I can safely say that 9/10
families who I know from various parts of India say that the music of
JA is heavy in their listening rotation even today and say that it's
one of the best albums in bollywood recently.  Sales don't lie either
as this album has done very well commercially. ARR purposely wanted to
create an album that sounded different from Mughal E Azam, a type of
musical direction that has not been footprinted on with this type of
movie.  If he came up with a "Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya", he would be
accused of trying to copy that song or suck up to the music of that
time.

Love live JA's music.  It's one of my all time favorites.  Your
opinion is your opinion, but it's part of a very, very small minority.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "Thulasi Ram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> man, i can understand that u hate JA movie the core now u r pinching the
> music too. this is ridiculous in my context..
>
> to u azeem-o-shah-in-shah is song is "irritatingly louder".. which
to me, is
> a big joke.. even Joginder was able to change his stance on JA's music..
>
> u r the odd one out now! i wudnt be surprised if you feel lagaan and
swades
> songs as irritantingly louder!
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:17 AM, V S Rawat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >   On 7/18/2008 8:35 PM India Time, _Gomzy_ wrote:
> >
> > > hehe Rawat, you will be disappointed to know that he is indeed the
> > > composer. AG is the best and gets the best out of ARR.
> >
> > I think JA music is an absolute failure on part of ARR.
> >
> > ARR didn't at all get the feel of the period movie. It seems ARR had
> > absolutely no idea the large - big - huge - grand - great - showman
> > style in which AG was making the movie.
> >
> > So, ARR composed music which is very personal, individualistic music,
> > and that didn't match at all, didn't fit at all in the grandeur of the
> > movie.
> >
> > Result was disastrous. music sunk down without a trace in the movie.
> >
> > This would be the only movie of ARR in which the director didn't
butcher
> > the songs, still the songs didn't become noticeable, just because the
> > songs were on a different concept as if ARR was composing for a soft
> > love story between Jodha and Akbar, but the music movie was
Princess and
> > Queen Jodha and Azeemoshaan Shanshaah Akbar from beginning to end.
> > Azeemoshaan Shanshaah is the only "public" song, and I found it
> > irritatingly loud. Moulded lyrics worsened it.
> >
> > How could it happen?
> >
> > Why, if ARR and AG are so intimate?
> >
> > Didn't AG tell ARR what he is doing in the movie so that ARR would
have
> > included the grandeur in his music?
> >
> > it seems AG kept on emphasizing to ARR that he is making a love story
> > between Jodha and akbar, and that is why ARR created such a personal
> > music for the film, missing out on the grandeur.
> >
> > Mughal-e-azam also had the 100% classical personal song Prem Jogan Ban
> > Ke, that was shot on Dilip and Madhubala in the garden overnight. But
> > rest of the music was mostly with the grandeur that befits on a period
> > movie of this scale. Even the songs between individuals had a grandeur
> > of a period movie.
> >
> > ARR missed on this grandeur, and gave three looooonnnnng personal
songs
> > - jashnebahara, in lamhon ke daman mein and khwaja mere khwaja.
That was
> > disproportionate for the film.
> >
> > Though I don't blame ARR for Manmohana fiasco. The song was so
long and
> > too much noticeable, but that also I think is because AG must have
kept
> > on emphasing to ARR about showing hindu Jodha doing prayers in Muslim
> > Akbar's palace, so ARR gave it a lot of importance and created such a
> > loooonnnnggg non-subtle song that pinches in ears.
> >
> > JA would always hold the crown of music going in one direction and
film
> > going orthogonally to that. And I blame AG 100% for that. he took ARR
> > for a ride for this film. And ARR lost by not giving a "pyar kiya to
> > darna kya" level of song in it. I think ARR was just not knowing
that he
> > can give such a song in it.
> >

> > > On 7/18/08, *V S Rawat* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <vsrawat%40gmail.com><mailto:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] <vsrawat%40gmail.com>>>
> > > wrote:

SEL as

> > > Whatever.
> > >
> > > My view is that Ashutosh is not really a song-music person. He might
> > > have good ear for music but he doesn't have imagination enough
to give
> > > good treatment to songs.
> > >
> > > All songs of Lagaan/ Swadesh were sort of fit in the movie. There
> > > was no
> > > special scene, no great visuals, no imagination at all. All routine
> > > scenes, all daily life situations. Just on the run.
> > >
> > > At most, a situation was created for the Kailash Kher song in
Swades,
> > > but how shabbily it was patched in.
> > >
> > > So, I think it is no loss for ARR if Ashutosh goes away. It was
> > > Ashutosh's films that were benefitting from ARR's music, the films
> > > themselves didn't add to the beauty of ARR's songs.
> > >
> > > Ashutosh is not a 1% of Mani or Shankar when it comes to songs
> > > picturization.
> > >
> > > Of course, a film getting hit makes the music reach more
persons, there
> > > is no denial of that.
> > >
> > > And, if ARR feels comfortable with Ashutosh and becomes more
creative
> > > giving his better ones, then of course, it is a loss for us if
Ashutosh