Fascinating to hear those immortal words "Thai Manne Vanakkam" were
first heard by a young boy serving tea! Isn't it so true that great
things have humble beginnings!

I have always been intrigued by those dialogue-tracks in Iruvar and
Duet - now we know their genesis!

MSV in Sangamam is 100% pure emotion. I could never figure out the
lyrics for a long time, but once I did, it was really heart-rending.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Vithur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In Vairamuthu Neram today,
>
> *1.Chittathatinal Konda Pithathinal  ( Duet ) *
> **
> Myself and A.R. Rahman worked very hard with strenous effort for
the film "
> Duet". A.R. Rahman selected some lyrics from my works titled, "
Thiruti
> Ezhudiya Theerpugal ( Rectified Writings of Judgements)". We were
thinking
> of who could be the best singer who can sing the same. This should
come as a
> Voice, and should also be in a tune. It should be mid way between
the tune,
> and the utterings of the words. So, we decided that instead of a
singer
> singing this, it would be better, if the hero himself could be used
> narrate these lyrics , and sing them, instead of a stand alone
singer doing
> it. The Director also accepted it. A. R. Rahman also accepted it.
The Hero
> didnt want to accept it, and was hesitant. We called Actor Prabhu
to the
> Composing Studio. We asked him to read the lyrics. He is elder to
me, but
> would address me as " Anne ( Elder brother ) . Pls read the poem
yourself,
> or make it possible by someone who knows better Tamil than me". I
replied, "
> No No. You are the successor of Nadigar Thilagam ( Sivaji
Ganesan) . It
> would be a great fame for me, if you read this. You cannot corner
yourself,
> as not knowing Tamil. ". He told, that he has studied in convent,
and was
> apprehensive, but I insisted in him doing it.
>
> He did a wonderful job in rendering it in the movie
>
> *2. Udal Mannukku ( IRUVAR ) *
> Of all the movies of Maniratnam, I like Nayagan and Iruvar. I
consider it a
> very great opportunity to write lyrics for the film Iruvar. Because
its a
> periodical film. The film starts in the 50s, and ends in the 80s.
During
> these 30 years, how the beauty of the language has changed, how the
> lifestyles have changed., how the political system has changed,
have been
> depicted very well in that movie. I came to write in the 80s. , and
the film
> gave me an experience of writing songs for about 40 years. There
was a
> beautiful story line, depicted in that movie.
>
> when MGR, wanted to utilise his very first chance in movies, what
sort of
> song would he sing, if he acts in a King, Queen movie. This sort of
> situation was given to me by Maniratnam, and he wanted me to write
lyrics
> for the same The style of the 40s, and the 50s should be replicated
in a
> movie, which has to be screened in the 90s. I started practising and
> learning the style of the lyrics that was used in those times. This
is not a
> song, but its like a declaration. There was a question, as to who
would
> sing, or utter these lyrics in the movie ?.  we all thought that ,
A.R.
> Rahman could do it himself. But he didnt want to do it. Some people
thought
> of making it done with the help of some play back singers. That was
also not
> accpted. Some people wanted me to do it myself. I told them in a
very polite
> and decent fashion, that my voice neednt come for the Film Industry.
> Finally, Maniratnam decided that if uttered by Arvind Swamy, it
would be
> great. I started teaching Arvind Swamy this song.
>
> " Udal Mannukku, Uyir Thamizukku".
>
> I consider it a great blessing, if this song could be added to the
Lists of
> famous writings on Dravida Kazhagam....
>
> *3. Aalakanda ( Sangamam ) *
> **
> More than the singers, its always the Music Director, who sings the
maximum
> number of times, a song. Right from the time, the song is composed,
till it
> is finished, its the Music Director, who takes the strains in
giving it a
> complete touch. Its the Music Director, who out of his voice, out
of his
> skills, out of his fashion gives life to a song. A singer starts
singing the
> song, only after the Music Director gives him the frame work, and
after the
> MD digesting it to the core.
>
> There has been more than 100 songs sung by MSV . I got a great
opportunity
> to write lyrics for a song which he sung. That song was for the film
> Sangamam. A. R . Rahman composed the music for the film. This song
appears
> like a situation, where the dead father sings at his son, ( like
his soul
> singing it )
>
> This song became very famous, and I started getting calls from a
lot of
> people. Once my car was halting near Teynampet Signal ( CHENNAI ) .
There
> was a person who was standing in a cycle near my car. he saw me
through the
> mirror of the car, and spotted me . he asked me to waive the glass
down. he
> said, ' Sir. The way you have written lyric.... esp those words,
Magane
> Magane ( Oh Son, Oh Son ) . after hearing to it, I have started
crying very
> badly. I started getting memories of my father. You should live for
long. ".
> I cannot forget the praises that I got from that cyclist , in tha t
> teynampet Signal. This is more than a National Award to me. What
more does a
> writer need ?
>
> *Thai Manne Vanakkam ( Vande MATARAM ) *
> **
> A.R. Rahman always had a slight hesitation, about his voice , and
about his
> singing. If he sings, will the world accept it ??. Will the music
world
> accept it ?. In his very first song, " Chinna Chinna aasai", where
he hums
> that interlude, we observed it and found out that he has got a very
bright
> future as a singer too.... During the time course, his fear started
> reducing, and he started singing very good songs in a very good
manner. I
> have written a lot of songs for which he has sung in films, and
which have
> become big hits. But, there is one song , which became a mega hit,
more than
> that of films. The reason behind it was the Majesty of A.R. Rahman
's music,
> and the lyrics and the meaning of that song.
>
> He came and gave me an Hindi song. For paying respect to the
Nation, we have
> taken a song, " Vande Mataram " in Hindi. we have to give it to our
Tamil
> people also. So, he requested me to write tamil Lyrics for the
Hindi Song.
> and insisted on the starting lines, which would create the impact
for the
> song. Why the starting lyrics has to be important because, " Maa
Tujhe
> Salam" ( was the Hindi starting lyrics ). He told, that its the
crux of the
> song. He wanted that Maa Tujhe Salaam to be converted to Tamil
without
> disturbing the tune.
>
> I was writing the lyrics " Thai Manne Vanakkam " sittting in the
grass
> garden at his residence ( ARR 's residence ) . that time, a young
boy got me
> some tea. he heard these lyrics  Thai Manne Vanakkam, and went and
reported
> it to Rahman. Rahman came running towards me. He jumped in
excitement
> saying, " Yes. It has come out very well. This is what I expected.
He