Dear Rawat,

I understand your thoughts, on the way certain music has been chopped off from
Bose. But still, Bose is clearly one of the best albums of ARR and i think
certain due credit should be given to Benegal to trust ARR. We must remember
that Shyam Benegal is more of an art-film-maker and he has been using only 1
composer right from late-70s, for all his films: Vanraj Bhatia, who again,
despite being talented, doesnt have any commercial or mainstream films to boast
of. Now for such a film-maker to switch to ARR, who is a mainstream film
composer (ofcourse, now the lines between commercial and parallel cinema are
blurred), it takes quite a confidence and trust. and not just that, the
combination actually worked because Benegal, contrary to what you say, has a
good sense of music. Here is my take on the combo:

1. Zubeidaa - A very classy score. Please hear the album, ARR never composed
tunes like in Zubeidaa, before or even after. They are vintage,
rooted-in-melody and yet contemporary. And not to forget, it was in this film
that he composed his first truly Hindustani Classical track, a 'Thumri', "Chodo
More Saiyyan". And yes, the western classical 'So Gaye Hai' is another Gem.

2. Bose - Again a very classy score. Some beautiful songs for Sonu Nigam,
rooted in Vintage melody. And this is the 1st album of ARR, released as true
OST as such. I mean, we didnt have to rip Voiceless BGMs, because ARR provided
us the brilliant BGMs in the CD. The instrumental tracks, all done with Czech
Philharmonic Orchestra are one of ARR's orchestral best. For all people who
argue with me that ARR is all about technology, i suggest this album as answer.

And lastly, you are mistaken that Thakshak was by Benegal. It was by Govind
Nihlani, a protege of Benegal though. Yet, as you said, there is all likelihood
that songs/music could be chopped off in the film. But then, we need to listen
and appreciate music right, rather than see and appreciate it. So, as long as
there is a cd released, it is a treat for us.

For these reasons, i look forward to Benegal-ARR combo, as much as i wait for a
ARR-Gowariker or ARR-Maniratnam or ARR-Deepa Mehta or ARR-Rajeev Menon Combo.
because these, never disappointed us.

Regards
Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla.

http://kamal-aakarsh.blogspot.com