Alright, i'll check it. Thanks for the info. Can you approximately tell around
which time it was posted?

--- On Tue, 11/11/08, Gomzy™ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Gomzy™ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [arr] What should I say when people say ARR lifted songs?
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 1:29 AM

            This is a very old website and the topic has been discussed a
million times before. Kindly check the archives.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 9:18 AM, pratap <pratap_elensar@ yahoo.com> wrote:

What should I say when people say ARR lifted songs? Harris Jeyaraj is often
accused as no1 copy cat. He actually uses BGMs of other songs into his but the
tune of the song remains original. His latest song Mundhinam from Vaaranam
Aayiram used the same guitar BGM from George Michael's Faith. And there MANY
more such examples. The point is ARR did the EXACTLY the same thing with a
couple of songs. If Harris is a copy cat because of these, then ARR will be the
same too. That is not what we want

A R Rahman [Tamil]

1

Hello Mr. ethirkatchi [Film: Iruvar]

The opening piano part definitely inspired. Source: Dave Grusin's Memphis
Stomp, from the OST of The Firm, released in 1993.

Listen to Hello Mr. Ethirkatchi | Memphis Stomp

Genuine copy wrt the piano intro sequence. But the actual tune of the song
remains original.

2

Kuluvalile [Film: Muthu]

The background rythm and beats inspired from the song 'rescue me' by Fontella
Bass. The song was part of the OST of the film 'Sister Act', released in 1965.

Listen to Kuluvalile | Rescue me

The rythm has been used. However, the tune of the song remains original.

3

Akkadannu naanga [Film: Indian]

Again, the background beats are inspired. Source: Paul Young's 'Love of common
people', from the album 'No Parlez', released in 1983.

Listen to Akkadannu | Love of common people

Oh sure, the beats are copied. Tune original!

4

Anbae anbae [Film: Jeans]

The opening sequence seems inspired from Peter Gabriel's 'Of these, hope...'
from the album 'Passion: Music from the last temptation of Christ'.

Listen to anbae anbae | Of these, hope

Is A R Rahman a fan of Peter Gabriel? Tune is original!

5

Shakalaka Baby [Film: Mudhalvan]

The rhythm loop with an underground feel is also found in the track 'Flight IC
408' by State of Bengal and the track 'Aint talkin bout dub' by Apollo 440.

Listen to Shakalaka Baby | Flight IC 408 | Aint talkin bout dub

Possibly a commercially available loop, done with some improvisations by
Rahman. The loop appears almost throughout the Apollo 440 track and at places
in Flight IC 408. Actual song's tune original.

6

Thillana thillana [Film: Muthu]

The opening African female humming is ripped off from Deep Forests 'Night
Bird'.

Listen to Thillana thillana | Night bird

Oh sure, ripped. Just that initial humming part. But if Deep Forest can rip off
native African sounds....!

7

Poopookkum osai [Film: Minsara Kanavu]

The beats seem inspired from Lebo M's 'Rhythm of pride lands: Kube', which was
last part of the Disney's Greatest Pop hits collection.

Listen to Poopookkum osai | Rhythm of pride lands: Kube

The beats are sure inspired. As usual the tune remains very original.

8

Thenmerku paruvakkaatru [Film: Karuthamma]

The beats are similar to a track by Dr Alban, 'Om we rembwe ike'. Note that Dr
Alban himself uses a lot of commercially available loops and CDs to create
songs!

Listen to Thenmerku paruvakaatru | Om we rembwe ike

The beats are sure inspired. As usual the tune remains very original. The 'yei
nee romba azhaga irukke' song, 'Poi sollalaam' uses similar beats!

9

Paarkadhey [Film: Gentleman (1993)]

Alleged to be inspired from the Osibisa number 'Kelele'

Listen to Paarkadhey | Kelele

You decide!

10

Ekamevadhvitheeyam - Theme music from Baba [Film: Baba]

Inspired from the the background music of The Untouchables (1987).

Listen to Ekamevadhvitheeyam | Al Capone (The Untouchables)

'Ekamevadhvitheeyam' means "there is only one paramatma, no second entity".
This song opens almost exactly like the prominent score from the cult classic
'The Untouchables' with music by Ennio Morricone. Why Rahman chose to lift this
so blatantly really beats me, even if figures in Baba for a few fleeting
seconds! In the soundtrack of The Untouchables, this tune plays almost
throughout the movie, more so for the softer/sadder moments! I'm adding the
track called 'Al Capone' which probably brings out the copy best, in my
opinion! Tip: Play the Baba number in full volume, the opening plays in very
low volume!

11

Ottagatha Kattikko [Film: Gentleman (1993)]

Highly inspired by Raj Koti's Telugu pop song 'Eddem ante' sung by Malgadi
Shuba, in 1991.

Listen to Ottagatha Kattikko | Eddem ante

Malgadi Shuba's 1991 Telugu pop song, 'Eddem Ante Teddam Antav', from the album
'Chik pak chik bam', with music by Raj Koti, seems to be the source of
inspiration for Rahman's superhit Gentleman song, 'Ottakatha Kattikko'. The
first 2 lines' flow, that is, nothing more. And, considerably spruced up in
Rahman style, of course! I recall reading Rahman's apprenticeship as an
arranger for other composers like Ilayaraja, Ousepachan and Raj Koti, so a
connection cannot be ruled out as a coincidence. Plus, I'm not getting into a
guessing game which points to Rahman composing this tune originally for Raj
Koti since that's merely a conjecture!

There's another long-standing allegation that the Gentleman track was in fact
inspired by a much older Malayalam song, 'Kuyiline thedi' from the 1954 film,
'Neelakkuyil', with music by Raghavan K. I personally do not find that direct a
connection between this one and Ottagatha Kattikko. Plus, the Raj Koti
apprenticeship angle perhaps gives more weight to the Telugu pop song
connection. My opinion? Far-fetched. No similarity strong enough to warrant a
post here. But, I'd let you decide!

Listen to Kuyiline thedi

http://www.itwofs. com/tamil- arr.html

How should I explain to anyone who points out this songs? Are they legally
done? Would like to hear some good explanation. I BELIEVE THIS IS DONE LEGALLY
BUT WOULD LIKE SOME OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION FROM SENIORS AND KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE
FROM THIS GROUP.

PLEASE DON'T STRAIGHT AWAY START SAYING THINGS AT ME AS I TOO LOVE ARR AND HIS
MUSIC AS MUCH AS ANYONE ELSE HERE DO. I JUST WANNA MAKE SURE ARR CAN'T BE
ACCUSED OF PLAGIARISM.