Good News and bad news:

Good News:
Call or visit your video parlor. Presto.

In all likelihood, English version of SDM is available there in CD/ DVDs
for purchase/ rental. Not the poor cam rip but an excellent quality
print. No cuts.

bad news:
It is probably not legal as the film has not got released in India. I
don't think it has even got censored so far. But who is complaining???
It is the bad planning of producer that he didn't release the movie so
far in Home and people are craving to see it so they would grab the
pirated CDs. It would harm the box office collections of the movie when
it eventually gets released.

--
My CD walah surprised me by giving me SDM CD and I could see the movie
in Rs 10 rental.

And, in spite of a few weaknesses in the film, that only got even more
highlighted to me personally because I have been seen all unqualified
praises for the film everywhere. If I have not seen such praises, I
would have ignored the script holes and would have liked the movie even
more.

So, let me give the bad points probably first time on net.

But before that, let me assert that it is overall an excellent movie,
will keep you engrossed, you heart will cry and laugh with the boy, Dev
Jamal Kumar. What a find he is. Probably the first real male talent that
has come in 21st century on Indian screen. What an intensity on his
face, his eyes pierce you to the core. What a confidence. What a
balanced, matter-of-factly dialog delivery. A similar great performance
by a kid/ youth was seen last in Zakhm by Kunal. The pent up anger in
him reminded me of Amitabh of 30 years ago. Shahid Kapoor and Ranbir
Kapoor should take acting classes from Dev Kumar.

::SPOILERS ALERT::

His brother Salim has also done well, with a lot of pragmatism and
sincerity but the portrayal of his character is sort of confused. The
director could decide whether to show him basically good guy or a bad
guy, so he kept switching sides and didn't leave the full impact that he
could have. his acting is not at all faulty, his characterization is.

In the train, Salim didn't save the kid girl and opting to save his own
and his brother's life, which is not really a wrong priority, but it is
definitely more telling than just selling Amitabh's autograph that his
brother has got through a very impractical, creepy route. And, then,
when Jamal did find the grown up girl, the elder bro elopes with her and
it is alluded to that they made love also. And, then seeing the same
girl becoming a slave keep of his goon boss. And then, letting her
escape. And killing the bad guy and getting killed himself. If any of
you could get the logic of it all, please explain to me also.

The characterization of the girl Latika is also lacking. Though she was
an introvert girl whose bad childhood would have killed her self respect
and courage, so far it was logical, still what made her regain her that
confidence didn't get highlighted in the movie. Her acting is also
better than average in the sense that several newcomer girls this year
(JTJYN, RNBDJ, Ghajini leading gals) have performed superbly, much
better than this girl, raising the measuring bar.

So, the plus of film is Dev Jamal Kumar and the minus of the film is a
patchy script. To link the 20 questions with the biography of the kid/
boy/ guy, the script writer has patched up several unrelated things to
put them in the shape of a story. Anyway. The writer himself is a fresh
one, yet he shows a lot of promise.

Anil Kapoor was a copy of KBC's Amitabh, but was tolerable. Still, his
two great ditchings could match the great ditch by Aamir in 1947 Earth,
and that is saying something on his great acting that he doesn't give
any hint to you how he is going to change masks scene by scene. Now, it
is another bad part of script that why he did so was never disclosed to
us the viewers. Somewhere his remark that "this is my show" tried to
open this angle but was left closed right there at that sentence.

And, the Police Imran Inspector and the contable kallo mama were totally
  redundant in the movie, the worst part of script, as if they were
packed in just to let the biography of the guy known to viewers. Jocky
handing over the national sensation participant to police on charge of
forgery just like that, and they beating him up, even giving electric
shock were  all cheap, ugly, dirty tricks to psyche the viewers to feel
pain for the boy.
--

All the choicest Hindi Maa Bahan Abuses are another lowest low of the
movie. There should be some law that such a teen-aged kid should not be

--
If you guys expect a movie with so many script drawbacks to get oscar,
it is obvious that your love for ARR has overruled your sense of

--
And, the music.

The music didn't get highlighted at all in the movie. At certain places
BGMs were soothing and captivating, still the non-hindi part of music
went above head and below feet. The post-climax fill-up song Jay Ho is
well done in music as well as in dance and captures exactly how the
viewers were feeling at that juncture, still it was obviously a patch up
which added nothing to the story or script. Listening to the audio songs
leaves you feeling much better, but you wouldn't even remember which of
those songs are in the movie, other than ringa ringa and jay ho.

The drawback of jay ho is that its lyrics are not really audible. I am a
lyrics man but even i couldn't get exactly what are they speaking after
jay ho, and most part in stanzas.

The underlying emotion of this song also didn't become apparent to me.
It could have been a "survivors' song, it could have been an assertion
of the go-get-it, I-will, I-can instincts of Indian teenagers, but all
that didn't become apparent and it remainned just a celebration song,
san any message. Seems Gulzar has missed on an opportunity of a
lifetime. Gulzar in any case is a poet of sentiments and not really a
social message man, like Sahir was. I think a P K Mishra/ Mehboob lyrics
would have been better suited for this song.
--

If watching a film in English is not your idea of having fun, even then
you can safely watch it. It is having a lot of hindi, and you would

--
So guys and gals. Hope this criticism would put the film in proper
perspective in your mind and after reading above, you would be better

But do see it. It is a lovely movie to see. you can recommend it to anyone.

Thanks.
--
Rawat